Dakar's wrestling sandbox millionaires
The agony of defeat in the Dakar ring. Photo/Sean Liliani
More popular than soccer in many parts of Africa, traditional wrestling has grown into a major sport.
Every year, wrestlers hoping to achieve fame and fortune converge on Dakar for an annual tournament.
This form of competition, with its rituals and ancient rivalries, is now seen by many fighters as a route from rags to riches.
Sean Liliani is ring-side in Dakar, Senegal with this week's View From Here.
Categories: Africa, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Paris lightning strike leaves several injured at child's party
- Eight children and three adults in Paris were struck by lightning Saturday after a sudden spring storm sent bolts crashing down upon a children's birthday party in a city park.
- 8 Russians at London Olympics tested positive for doping: Russian Olympic Committee
- The Russian Olympic Committee said on Saturday that re-tests of A samples from eight Russian sports people at the 2012 Olympics in London had tested positive for doping.
- Johnny Depp performs in Portugal; no reference to wife's abuse allegations
- Johnny Depp seemed the picture of rock-star cool as he played guitar onstage in Portugal with his band, the Hollywood Vampires. An ocean away, he is facing serious accusations.
- Donald Trump stop in busy border city of San Diego sparks protest
- Donald Trump brought his message of walls and deportations to the doorstep of America's busiest border crossing on Friday as the presumptive Republican presidential nominee greeted supporters in San Diego, amid one of the largest counter-protests organized against him.
- WHO rejects Rio Olympics postponement call over Zika virus
- The World Health Organization says there is "no public health justification" for postponing or cancelling the Rio de Janeiro Olympics because of the Zika outbreak.