Dakar's wrestling sandbox millionaires
The agony of defeat in the Dakar ring. Photo/Sean Liliani
More popular than soccer in many parts of Africa, traditional wrestling has grown into a major sport.
Every year, wrestlers hoping to achieve fame and fortune converge on Dakar for an annual tournament.
This form of competition, with its rituals and ancient rivalries, is now seen by many fighters as a route from rags to riches.
Sean Liliani is ring-side in Dakar, Senegal with this week's View From Here.
Categories: Africa, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Updated North Korea praises launch that others see as covert missile test
- North Korea defies international warnings and launches a long-range rocket that the United Nations and others call a cover for a banned test of technology for a missile that could strike the U.S. mainland.
- Austria avalanche sweeps away 17, killing 5
- Five Czech skiers were killed in a huge avalanche that swept away their group of 17 in the Austrian skiing region of Tyrol on Saturday, police say.
- Republican debaters attack Marco Rubio as inexperienced, Ted Cruz as unethical
- Marco Rubio, a first-term senator on the rise in the presidential race, faced a barrage of attacks in Saturday night's Republican debate, with rivals vigorously challenging his readiness to be president and depth of his policy expertise as they sought to salvage their own White House hopes.
- Taiwan earthquake kills 18, more than 130 trapped video
- Rescuers in Taiwan pulled a young man alive from a collapsed apartment tower on Sunday more than 24 hours after a strong earthquake shook the island, and kept searching for more than 130 people believed trapped in the ruins of the building.
- Toronto bride wed by trailblazing NYC Fire Dept. chaplain amid fatal crane collapse
- When a bride-to-be from Toronto found herself stranded on a New York City street amid the chaos of a fatal crane collapse, a trailblazing chaplain from the local fire department came to her rescue.