Dakar's wrestling sandbox millionaires
The agony of defeat in the Dakar ring. Photo/Sean Liliani
More popular than soccer in many parts of Africa, traditional wrestling has grown into a major sport.
Every year, wrestlers hoping to achieve fame and fortune converge on Dakar for an annual tournament.
This form of competition, with its rituals and ancient rivalries, is now seen by many fighters as a route from rags to riches.
Sean Liliani is ring-side in Dakar, Senegal with this week's View From Here.
Categories: Africa, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Hungarian voters appear set to deliver a blow to EU migrant quotas
- Hungary's anti-immigrant government appears set to win a referendum on whether the country should accept European Union refugee resettlement quotas. A victory could send shock waves through the already battered bloc.
- Jamaica, Cuba and Haiti await powerful Hurricane Matthew
- Hurricane Matthew is expected to reach the eastern part of Jamaica late Sunday or early Monday, but the first effects could be felt today. It became a Category 5 storm overnight, before weakening to a Category 4.
- Video Trump's 'idiosyncrasies not abnormal,' says Republican stalwart Newt Gingrich video
- Republican Newt Gingrich tells CBC's Peter Mansbridge why he believes Donald Trump is the better candidate in the race for the White House.
- Legal marijuana brings tax revenue for Denver, but also new expenses audio
- Take note, Toronto: Denver, Colorado is using tax revenue from legal marijuana sales for social good, but regulating sales is a costly new responsibility for the municipal government.
- CBC in Paris Paris mayor's attempt to curb traffic along Seine leaves some commuters fuming
- The Paris mayor's decision to close the right bank of the Seine river to cars as a means of reducing air pollution has left many in the city hyperventilating.