Dakar's wrestling sandbox millionaires
The agony of defeat in the Dakar ring. Photo/Sean Liliani
More popular than soccer in many parts of Africa, traditional wrestling has grown into a major sport.
Every year, wrestlers hoping to achieve fame and fortune converge on Dakar for an annual tournament.
This form of competition, with its rituals and ancient rivalries, is now seen by many fighters as a route from rags to riches.
Sean Liliani is ring-side in Dakar, Senegal with this week's View From Here.
Categories: Africa, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- North Korea's missile test fire fails hours after UN meeting on nukes
- A North Korean mid-range ballistic missile apparently failed shortly after launch, South Korea and the U.S. said, the third test-fire flop just this month but a clear message of defiance as a U.S. supercarrier conducts drills in nearby waters.
- Philippines says it has killed commander of Abu Sayyaf extremist group
- The Philippine military chief says marines have killed an Abu Sayyaf extremist commander considered to be one of the most notorious kidnappers in the country's south.
- Commander in tweet: Trump's first 100 days, as seen through his Twitter account
- In the first 100 days, Trump's tweets have moved markets, advanced conspiracy theories, attacked his own party and ultimately helped define his fledgling presidency.
- Israel plans 15,000 more settlement homes in East Jerusalem
- Israel intends to build 15,000 new settlement homes in East Jerusalem, according to its Housing Ministry, despite U.S. President Donald Trump's request to "hold back" on settlements as part of a possible new push for Israeli-Palestinian peace.
- Trump signs order to expand drilling in Arctic, Atlantic oceans
- Working to dismantle his predecessor's environmental legacy, President Donald Trump has signed an executive order Friday that could lead to the expansion of drilling in the Arctic and Atlantic oceans.