Addis Ababa...renting the news of revolution
News junkies in Addis Ababa, get their fix by renting newspapers in the city centre (Photo/Maggie Downs)
Poor, and hungry for news
Dispatches contributor Kaj Hasselriis reports from a part of Africa where they rent their information rather than buy it.
How they follow the news from Libya -- in Liberia
News junkies (left) in Monrovia, get their fix by reading a blackboard in the city centre. (photo/Prue Clarke)
Categories: Africa, Middle East, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Suspect in Colorado Planned Parenthood shooting 'just seemed off,' neighbour says video
- Witnesses are telling chilling stories of the deadly shooting and standoff at a Planned Parenthood facility in Colorado Springs, where a 57-year-old suspect from North Carolina was taken into custody.
- California and Canada working toward joint climate change solutions
- Ontario will soon join California and Quebec in a massive joint cap-and-trade program. In these jurisdictions, businesses that want to emit more than their quota of greenhouse gases can buy carbon credits from companies that burn less.
- Washington's National Mall deploys border collies to shoo pooping Canada geese
- Washington’s National Mall, a symbol of American strength and reflection, has long served as an open toilet for Canada geese. Not anymore, thanks to a team of highly trained border collies working for the National Park Service.
- Climate change could have link with terrorism, UN chief Ban Ki-moon tells CBC video
- The UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon says the attacks in Paris can’t overshadow efforts to reach a climate change agreement at next week's summit. He also warns in an exclusive CBC interview of a possible link between climate change and terrorism.
- Turkish president expresses regret over Russian plane downing
- Turkey's president has told supporters that he was saddened by the downing of a Russian warplane by Turkish forces.