2010 Season: May 2010 Archives
Thursday May 27, 2010
Get rich or die trying," says the man in Zimbabwe with illegal diamonds to sell. Our correspondent hears there's more death to go 'round than dollars.
What's wrong with Hamid Karzai, and can the Afghan president be fixed? Some answers from a soldier and a former diplomat who've seen his work up close.
For cocaine possession Amir Amma went away for 25-to-life, a sentence more fit for a murderer. But times are changing in New York, and so is he.
And, the suicide-catcher of Nanjing. Why does a man devote his life to stopping people trying to end theirs? Maybe he's saving his own.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday May 20, 2010
|Soldiers stand guard at a crime scene where the crashed car of a U.S. Consulate employee sits in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. (Associated Press)|
Mexico's widening drug war. A CBC/NPR investigation points to collaboration between its biggest cartel, and elements of the Mexican army.
Who owns the thousands of priceless historical artifacts from Peru's Machu Picchu currently residing at Yale? Here's a hint. It's not Peru.
And, new hope in the place they call The Heart of the World. How the Indians of Colombia recovered their mystic mountain.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Thursday May 13, 2010
Al-Jazeera comes to Canada. Should we take umbrage, or a valium?
A Mexican mine and a mysterious murder that reaches all the way to Canada.
A postcard from the politest people on earth. Why the Dogon of Mali just have to stop and chat.
And, the policies of the late Mao Zedong were fatal for a lot of people. So why are they being revived in parts of China?
Listen to this week's showRead more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday May 6, 2010
Greece gets a bailout but will Greeks pay their dues? And their overdue taxes?
Why Chernobyl still smoulders, and Ukrainians still get burned, 24 years after the world's worst nuclear accident.
South Africa's ruling party has a new bad boy, and this time it's not the president, but it is his problem.
And, Laos spills its secrets from the Vietnam era. The war that just keeps on going, no matter whose side you were on.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Past Episodes
- August 2011
- July 2011
- March 2011
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Wed., 23 – March 24 - 27, 2011 from: Noda and Sendai, Japan - Chernobyl - Tunis - Benghazi, Libya - Berlin
- Tue., 22 – Noda, Japan...pictures, pieces of lives
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Thu., 25 – November 25 & 28: from Afghanistan - Bosnia - Ghana - Zimbabwe - Seoul, South Korea - Manila, the Philippines
- Thu., 18 – November 18 & 21: from Kampala, Uganda - the Thai-Burmese border - Hilversum, Netherlands - Beirut, Lebanon - Dakar, Senegal - Chennai, India - Nanoori, Ghana
- Thu., 4 – November 4 & 7, 2010: from Berlin - Zambia - Mae Sot, Thailand - Hainan province, China - Guca, Serbia
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Suspect in fatal shooting on Las Vegas Strip surrenders after standoff
- The suspect in a fatal shooting on the Las Vegas Strip on Saturday surrendered to police after barricading himself inside a bus.
- U.S. military confirms airstrike on Mosul area 'corresponding' to reports of civilian casualties
- The U.S military confirmed on Saturday that U.S. warplanes had hit an Islamic State-held area of the besieged Iraqi city of Mosul where residents and officials say dozens of civilians have been killed as result of an airstrike.
- Analysis Health-care havoc: Trump's 1st legislative test a 'big loser' that puts his agenda on shaky ground video
- Donald Trump’s first major legislative push to eliminate and replace the current health-care legislation ran off road Friday, striking a blow to his young presidency’s momentum and denting his image as a master negotiator.
- EU nations renew fragile pact amid threats from nationalism, Brexit
- Today 27 nations renewed their pledge to the European Union amid concerns over Brexit, nationalism and the threat of terrorism.
- CBC in Manila Jailed Philippine senator says she 'won't be quiet' about President Duterte
- Jailed Philippine Senator Leila de Lima says she's a political prisoner. President Rodrigo Duterte says she's a drug trafficker. CBC's Adrienne Arsenault travelled to Manila for an exclusive jailhouse interview with de Lima.