June 2010 Archives
Thursday June 24, 2010
June 24 & 27: from Selaya, India - Kandahar - San Giuseppe Jaco, Italy - Antarctica - Shanghai - Rhotak, India
The new prisoners of piracy. Monsoon season is the only safe haven for small-boat sailors on the Indian Ocean.
Afghan interpreters are being offered a fast-track into Canada. So why the skepticism about Ottawa's intentions?
Pizzo and the murdering Pig. Reporting on the Sicilian Mafia has chilling moments for our correspondent.
And, China wants more folks to drink from the double-happiness cup, because world's most populous nation needs more people.Listen to the podcast.
To download, right click -- then select "save target as"
Or listen to the broadcast... Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Asia, Europe, Past Episodes
Thursday June 17, 2010
Freelance journalist Hanna Ingber Win's photos, from the tea gardens of Assam, India. Assam has India's highest maternal mortality rate. Hanna went there to interview families who'd lost their mothers, and health care workers who try to help pregnant mothers get the medical help they need.
Categories: Correspondents' Dispatches, The View from Here
Thursday June 17, 2010
The long, luminous lives of Miss Ware and Miss Williams, who've spent decades teaching kids the way out of poverty.
Most press clubs are more about single malts than multiple dangers. We'll hear why Afghanistan's is so different.
Olympic security; Canada spent millions on the last winter games. We've got insights into what the next winter games could be like, with a war zone on the border.
From the wreckage of Haiti, a correspondent's-eye view from a pocket of undamaged optimism amid the ruins.
And Jews fighting Jews in the streets of Jerusalem.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Americas, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Wednesday June 16, 2010
After our piece on the fledgling Palestinian film industry, we got a rocket from Monica Schubert in Regina.Read more »
Categories: Your Dispatches
Thursday June 10, 2010
|Even hot dogs are special in the Latin Quarter. (Photo/Maureen Brosnahan)|
Footy fans descend on South Africa -- as it renames the roads. Maps are out-of-date, and white folks' noses are out-of-joint.
Death by childbirth. Canada's quest to improve maternal health care in a world where pregnant women are rushed to hosital in handcarts.
From New Orleans, battered shrimp and other stories of survival by seafood.
And the U.S. in Afghanistan. Why body counts take a backseat to doing deals with the enemy.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
Monday June 7, 2010
Will Everett's dispatch about becoming an unexpected guest at somebody else's dinner in India last week caught the attention of Peter Ottis in Ottawa.
It reminded (me) so much of my own experiences in Africa and the Middle East. Linguistic and cultural barriers all too often led to experiences like his... I often found myself in the middle of seemingly-endless meetings, or blindly following a city guide, completely confused at just what exactly I had gotten into. Thankfully, these experiences often lead to great stories that one can laugh about years later. Thanks for a great show.
Your letters. Our thanks. And do keep them coming to email@example.com
Categories: Your Dispatches
Thursday June 3, 2010
|(Photo/Nathan L. Collett)|
They call themselves the "bestest of the best" and they just got themselves elected in Iceland. Why did a party promoting polar bears get so many votes?
Tribal violence is not entirely over in Kenya, and already they've made a movie about it, featuring the survivors as the actors.
Then, how music is breaching the political divide between the United States and Cuba, and causing a new divide within the Cuban community.
Plus: Nineteen years ago, a secret airlift evacuated Ethiopian Jews to Israel, but there are reasons some still don't feel at home.
And, Mohamed's Ghost. A new book that says Muslims and their mosques are fading from the American landscape.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
- October 2011
- Wed., 19 – October 20, 2011: from - Blue Nile, Sudan - New York State - Democratic Republic of Congo - State College, Pennsylvania - Dublin
- Mon., 17 – More on thorium, the "cleaner" nuclear fuel
- Thu., 13 – Bailing out the Greeks' devalued psyche
- Sat., 8 – Famine aid: giving cash instead of food
- Fri., 7 – Rick and Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
- Fri., 7 – 5 convicted in Argentina torture/murder
- Thu., 6 – Your climate-change reports
- Thu., 6 – October 6, 2011: from Peshawar, Pakistan - Guatemala City - Misrata, Libya - Mendoza, Argentina
- Wed., 5 – China's surfer girl goes global
- September 2011
- Thu., 29 – September 29, 2011: from, Mumbai, India - Chisinau, Moldova - Loruth, Kenya - Peshawar, Pakistan - Bangladesh
- Tue., 27 – Al Qaeda: up close with the bosses
- Thu., 15 – Peace and death on Tripoli Street
- Thu., 15 – September 15, 2011: from Misrata and Janzur, Libya - Washington, D.C. - Beijing - New York - Kenya/South Sudan border
- Mon., 12 – Asian carp threat: eat invasive species
- Thu., 8 – Listeners Remember Lamont Tilden
- Thu., 8 – Lamont Tilden remembered
- Thu., 8 – Asian carp approach Great Lakes
- Thu., 8 – 30 Mosques/30 days goes worldwide
- Wed., 7 – Stamping out secret hate messages
- Fri., 2 – Adrienne Arsenault on terrorism's future
- Thu., 1 – The Sky Cries Blood, Afghanistan 2002.
- Thu., 1 – September 1&4, 2011: from Manila - New York - Quetta, Pakistan - Afghanistan - Grand Forks, North Dakota - Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - Madrid
- August 2011
- Fri., 26 – How To Fix A Football Match
- Fri., 26 – Berlin's anti-Nazi cleaning lady
- Thu., 25 – Pakistan's untold stories
- Thu., 25 – Sleeper cells and secret deal took Tripoli
- Thu., 18 – Sudan's Machine Gun Preacher
- Tue., 16 – Urumqi, China's underground 6 City
- Tue., 16 – Uyghur Thriller Soundtrax
- Fri., 12 – The Redemption Of General Butt Naked
- Thu., 11 – August 11 & 14: from Monrovia, Liberia - Voss, Norway - Ghana - Swarthmore, Pennsylvania - Urumqi, China
- Wed., 10 – For Haitian women, credit buys confidence
- Thu., 4 – August 4 & 7: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - the United States - Huntsville, Alabama - Ulvohamm, Sweden
- Mon., 1 – U.S. Ramadan Road Trip
- July 2011
- Tue., 26 – July 28 & 31: from Kwa Dabekaa, South Africa - Vancouver - Haiti - Zimbabwe - Kolkata, India - New York
- Fri., 22 – From Yunnan: golf in the new China
- Thu., 21 – July 21 & 24: from Yunnan province, China - Haiti - South Africa - Uljanovsk, Russia - Palermo, Italy
- Wed., 13 – Nothing but mammals, baby...
- Mon., 11 – This Is Not America
- Fri., 8 – Where an uncorrupt official is big news
- Thu., 7 – July 7 & 10: from Cape Town, South Africa - Kabul, Afghanistan - Democratic Republic of Congo - Mogadishu, Somalia - Germany
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Wed., 29 – Guca, Serbia: brass bands and nationalism
- Wed., 29 – The Khmer Rouge and Foxy Lady
- Mon., 27 – Remembering Andrew Princz
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Fri., 17 – A Space Shuttle, a premier, and an ocean
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Mon., 13 – Jerusalem...covering the never-ending story
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- Thu., 26 – May 26 & 29: from Hainan Island, China - San Diego - Malaysian Borneo - French Mayotte Island - Dublin
- Wed., 25 – Radio's eyes, The Human Kind Of Eye
- Wed., 25 – Kampala...words of hope from a gay bar
- Sun., 22 – A not so gay memory
- Sun., 22 – Notes on homophobia in Uganda
- Wed., 18 – May 19 & 22: from Kampala, Uganda - Israel - Montebaducco, Italy - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Nanjing, China - Robben Island, South Africa
- Wed., 11 – May 12 - 15: from Liberia - Berlin - Nigeria - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Cheonan, South Korea - Beijing
- Fri., 6 – Apologies...
- Fri., 6 – Response re: Zimbabwe
- Fri., 6 – Lessons about withstanding an earthquake
- Fri., 6 – Two takes on our coverage
- Fri., 6 – Barbie goes to Greece
- Mon., 2 – War brides return to Britain on QM2
- April 2011
- Wed., 27 – April 28 & May 1: from Coban, Guatemala - Zimbabwe - Benghazi, Libya - Kolkata, India - Belize.
- Tue., 19 – Kampala...home of Gadhafi's fan club?
- Sat., 16 – Cairo...security file free-for-all
- Fri., 15 – Kampala...home of the Gadhafi Fan Club!
- Thu., 14 – Tokyo...in the shadow of Fukushima
- Mon., 11 – Dakar's wrestling sandbox millionaires
- Mon., 4 – Jordan's protests run deep
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Mon., 28 – Mexico: fear of narco-censorship here
- Wed., 23 – March 24 - 27, 2011 from: Noda and Sendai, Japan - Chernobyl - Tunis - Benghazi, Libya - Berlin
- Tue., 22 – Listeners respond to Larry Joe
- Tue., 22 – Noda, Japan...pictures, pieces of lives
- Tue., 22 – The screwy Saudi security syndrome
- Thu., 17 – Beijing...ice swimming and loving it
- Thu., 17 – Kabul... Ormiston on Afghanistanization
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Tue., 15 – Mendoza, Argentina...a witness to brutality
- Mon., 14 – Xinjiang, China...getting around here
- Mon., 14 – Addis Ababa...renting the news of revolution
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Fri., 11 – Margaret Evans' Mideast overview
- Thu., 10 – China rolls back reforms
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- Wed., 2 – Tunisians demand democracy now!
- February 2011
- Mon., 28 – New on The View
- Mon., 28 – Kabul's curbside cops
- Wed., 23 – February 24 & 27: from French Guiana - Kwa Dabekaa, South Africa - Mumbai, India - Liberia
- Wed., 23 – Urumqi, China..underground music here
- Wed., 16 – February 17 & 20: from Lampedusa, Italy - Kingi, Democratic Republic of Congo - Uganda - Iran via Washington - Urumqi, China
- Fri., 11 – Haiti classics -- A Canadian Grammy nominee
- Wed., 9 – Nairobi...Togetherness Supreme here
- Tue., 8 – Joie de vivre in BBC's Bush House
- Mon., 7 – London...cuts to BBC World Sevice here
- Mon., 7 – BBC World Service sold shortwaves in BC
- Mon., 7 – God speaks to the Machine Gun Preacher
- Thu., 3 – Cairo...re-charging in a mosque here
- January 2011
- Thu., 27 – Ladino: The Jewish music of Spain sung here
- Thu., 27 – January 27 & 30: from Yunnan Province, China - Pennsylvania - Jerusalem - Glasgow - Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Wed., 26 – Yak manure: from poo to petrol
- Wed., 26 – South Sudan...a new national anthem here
- Fri., 21 – Our man from China assesses India
- Thu., 20 – Haiti...just another death by cholera
- Wed., 19 – Goma, Congo...Clever Boys here
- Tue., 11 – Spain - no more matadors on TV here
- Fri., 7 – Hezbollah and temporary marriage
- Thu., 6 – Juba...boatloads of celebration here
- Thu., 6 – January 6 & 9: from Juba, Sudan - Brunei - Diego Garcia - Serra da Guia, Brazil - Rohtak, India
- December 2010
- Thu., 30 – December 30 & Jan 2: from Kibera, Kenya - Montevideo, Uruguay - Dublin, Ireland - New York
- Mon., 20 – The soundtrack of a randy taxi driver
- Thu., 9 – December 9 & 12: from Kabul - Goma, DRC - Monrovia, Liberia - Honduras - Vigo, Spain - Los Angeles
- Fri., 3 – Colombia's Kidnap Radio on the air
- Fri., 3 – Kabul...the roadside pension plan here
- Thu., 2 – Pop up Player code
- November 2010
- Fri., 26 – Seoul... kimchi, an aid to weight control
- Thu., 25 – November 25 & 28: from Afghanistan - Bosnia - Ghana - Zimbabwe - Seoul, South Korea - Manila, the Philippines
- Wed., 24 – Afghanistan...Embedded with the Taliban here
- Tue., 23 – Kampala..The Secret Reach Of "The Family"
- Tue., 23 – Krakow...The Weather With You here
- Tue., 23 – Germany...neeles ant peens here
- Sat., 20 – Thanks for finding your way to a new feature
- Thu., 18 – November 18 & 21: from Kampala, Uganda - the Thai-Burmese border - Hilversum, Netherlands - Beirut, Lebanon - Dakar, Senegal - Chennai, India - Nanoori, Ghana
- Wed., 17 – Shatila refugee camp...guns are common here
- Tue., 16 – Kampala...battling homosexuality here
- Mon., 15 – Zimbabwe...Waiting For The Rain here
- Fri., 5 – China, Japan and rare earth in context
- Fri., 5 – Got your goat shopping done?
- Fri., 5 – From Burma to B.C.
- Thu., 4 – November 4 & 7, 2010: from Berlin - Zambia - Mae Sot, Thailand - Hainan province, China - Guca, Serbia
- Mon., 1 – China in Africa...no Chinatowns here
- Mon., 1 – The case for Thorium power continued...
- Mon., 1 – Nicaragua...the remains of a DC-3 here
- October 2010
- Fri., 29 – Washington...Franzen, Freedom and Obama here
- Thu., 28 – London...the tale of MI-5 from here
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Mon., 25 – NYC 9/11...What's Going On here?
- Fri., 22 – Manila..."offending religious feelings" here
- Fri., 22 – Clean cookstoves r you...
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Wed., 20 – Who do you pay to be in the news here?
- Tue., 19 – New York City...living in tunnels here
- Mon., 18 – The Cuban diet...continued
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – Lusaka, SA...Tracy Chapman echoes here
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Fri., 15 – India's secret war
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- Tue., 12 – Khao Lak, Thailand...song from the Tsunami
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Mon., 27 – Dispatches wins gold in New York
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Tue., 14 – Award winners
- Mon., 13 – Special shows
- Sun., 12 – The Essay Project
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- Mon., 17 – pop-up test
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Barack Obama and Joe Biden pass Democratic baton to Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine video
- Barack Obama took to the stage for his final Democratic convention as a sitting president, saying he was "more optimistic about the future of America than ever before," and that Hillary Clinton was eminently qualified to be the next U.S. president.
- 'She had a strong drive': How high school made Hillary Clinton a presidential contender video
- As Hillary Clinton takes on the U.S. Democratic Party's nomination for president, high school classmates from Park Ridge, Ill., recall a young woman with drive and ambition coming of age at a time of change for all women.
- Updated 2nd attacker in France hostage-taking was also known to police
- The second attacker in the deadly assault on a Normandy church was a 19-year-old from eastern France who had been spotted last month in Turkey as he supposedly headed to Syria — but who returned to France instead, French officials say.
- Pope Francis misses step, falls down before mass in Poland video
- Pope Francis missed a step and fell to the ground Thursday as he was coming to an open-air altar to celebrate mass at Poland's holiest shrine of Jasna Gora.
- Analysis 'I am really afraid now': Violent attacks rattle European nerves
- Europeans are on edge after six violent attacks in France and Germany over the past two weeks, the CBC's Derek Stoffel writes.