Bookmark and Share

Shambhala not to blame for overdose: editorial

The electronic music festival had its first death in its 15-year history on August 12, 2012, when a 23-year-old man from Sidney, B.C., died of a likely drug overdose. (Contributed by: Benjamin Jordan)

The annual Shambhala Music Festival in the Kootenays took a turn for the worse this year.

Each August it draws 10,000 music lovers to the Salmo River Ranch.It's renowned for its electronic music scene and drug use among its patrons.

This year a 23-year-old man died at the festival of a suspected drug overdose. It's the first death in the festival's 15-year history.

Bob Hall of the Nelson Star wrote an editorial on the tragedy. The paper chose to point the finger at personal responsibility and responses soon flooded their website.

Daybreak host Chris Walker spoke with editor Bob Hall about their editorial, and the response it received.
Download Flash Player to view this content.

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Submission Policy

Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that comments are moderated and published according to our submission guidelines.