Bookmark and Share

Fears of violent gang prevent Nak'azdli reserve members from sharing torture information

Fribjon Bjornson

Fears of a violent gang are keeping some northern B.C. residents from sharing information about the torture and decapitation of a young man following a party last winter, CBC News has learned.

The severed head of Fribjon Bjornson, 28, was found in a vacant house on the Nak'azdli reserve near Fort St. James on Feb. 3, three weeks after he was last seen about 60 kilometres away at a 7-Eleven in Vanderhoof, B.C.

The rest of his body was never found and no one has been charged in the case.

But Bjornson's parents say residents of the reserve have already told them what happened to their son. They say those same residents are unwilling to share what they know with police, in part, because of fear of retaliation by the gang.

CBC reporter Eric Rankin has been looking into this case. He spoke with Betsy Trumpener.

Download Flash Player to view this content.

You can read more about this story at cbc.ca/news.

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Submission Policy

Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that comments are moderated and published according to our submission guidelines.