All this week, the Missing Women Commission Inquiry travels the so-called "Highway of Tears," In gatherings from Prince Rupert to Smithers, Commissioner Wally Opal hopes to hear from the families of missing and murdered women. Daybreak's Betsy Trumpener will be listening closely, as well. Our CBC news reporter is following the commission's path. She spoke to Daybreak host Robert Doane.
Here is the schedule for the hearings.
(photo: A weeping woman on a totem pole in the small First Nations community of Kispiox,
north of the "highway of Tears." Credit: Betsy Trumpener, CBC News)
- Sept. 12, 1 to 5 p.m., Northwest Community College Prince Rupert.
- Sept. 13, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Kitsumkalum Hall, Terrace.
- Sept. 13, 3 to 5 p.m., Gitanyow Independent School, Kitwanga.
- Sept. 13, 7:30 to 9 p.m., Nisga'a Community Room, Terrace.
- Sept. 14, 1 to 4 p.m., Moricetown Multiplex, Smithers.
- Sept. 14, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., 3955 3rd Avenue, Smithers.
- Sept. 15, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Gitanmaax Hall, Hazelton.