Viking fridges, freezers recalled over hazard
- August 18, 2009 12:21 PM
- By Peter Hadzipetros
Viking Range Corp. is recalling its built-in, side-by-side refrigerator/freezer units and refrigerators with bottom freezers because the doors can detach, posing a risk of injury.
About 1,800 of the recalled products were sold in Canada from July 1999 to April 2006.
Viking has received around 57 reports in the U.S. of doors detaching, including four reports of injuries involving bruises, broken toes/fingers and strains. Several incidents of minor damage to floors and counters have also been reported. No incidents were reported in Canada.
The units are sold in stainless steel, or with various colours and wood finishes, and are built into kitchen cabinetry. The word "Viking" is written on the front of each unit.
The side-by-side refrigerator/freezer is about 122 centimetres (48 inches) wide and the refrigerator with a bottom freezer is about 91cm (36 inches) wide.
The recalled units can be identified by model numbers and date codes. The date code is in the first six numbers of the serial number. Both the model number and serial number can be found either behind the produce drawer or on the inside ceiling of the refrigerator.
Affected model numbers include:
- VCSB481, VCSB482, DDSB482, DFSB482, DTSB482, DDBB362, VCBB360, VCBB362, DFBB362, DTBB362, DTBB363, all date codes.
- VCSB483, DDSB483, DFSB483, DTSB483, only date codes before 030104.
- VCSB483D, DDSB483D, DFSB483D, only date codes before 030105.
- VCBB363, only date codes before 111605
- DDBB363, only date codes before 112305
- DFBB363, only date codes before 041006
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled refrigerators if the door is not sealing properly, is sagging or does not open and close properly.
Consumers are advised to contact Viking to schedule a free in-home repair. If there are no problems with the door, consumers may continue to use the refrigerator until a repair can be done.
For more information, contact Viking toll-free at 1-888-345-2650 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.
- Seymour Custom Solvent recalled over labelling
- Health Canada has recalled 16,000 Seymour Custom Solvent Blend and Water Blend aerosol products because they do not meet mandatory warning labelling requirements.... Continue reading this post
- Kids eyeglass cases recalled because of lead levels
- About 1,500 childrens' eyeglass cases have been recalled because paint on the cases contains lead levels in excess of federal standards.... Continue reading this post