Safety 1st and Eddie Bauer Play Yards recalled over suffocation hazard
- June 4, 2009 12:22 PM
- By Peter Hadzipetros
Health Canada is recalling Safety 1st and Eddie Bauer Play Yards because of a potential risk of injury or death due to suffocation.
The recall involves the bassinet attachment of the following three different models of Safety 1st and Eddie Bauer Play Yards.
- Safety 1st Play Safe Play Yard: model numbers beginning with 05536C. This portable playpen was sold with a bassinet attachment, change station, storage area and mobile.
- Safety 1st Dream Magic or Deluxe Play Yard: model numbers beginning with 05049C. This playpen was sold with a bassinet attachment, change station, storage area, and mobile.
- Eddie Bauer Complete Care Play Yard: model numbers beginning with 05088C. This portable playpen was sold with a bassinet attachment, change station, and mobile.
The model number can be found on a sewn-on warning label, located at the bottom of the play yard.
Testing by Health Canada shows that a child's weight presses the centre of the bassinet downwards, increasing the angled surfaces at either end of the product.
If a child is left unattended in the bassinet portion of the play yard, the child's small movements could cause the child to slide, posing a potential risk of injury or death due to suffocation.
Health Canada has received one report of a death that occurred when the child was placed in the bassinet attachment of the play yard with blankets and a soft stuffed toy. The play yard includes instructions, which state the child is not to be placed in the bassinet with blankets.
Dorel Distribution Canada of Ville St-Laurent, Que has received four complaints of the bassinet in these play yards not laying flat, with no reported injuries relating to this condition.
Over 37 000 of the play yards were sold at Zellers, Walmart, Toys 'R' Us, and Costco stores across Canada from March 2007 to May 2009.
Consumers should immediately stop using the bassinet portion of the recalled play yards and contact Dorel Distribution Canada to receive a free kit to address the issue.
For more information, contact Dorel Distribution Canada phoning toll-free at 1-888-234-2455 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.
- Seymour Custom Solvent recalled over labelling
- Health Canada has recalled 16,000 Seymour Custom Solvent Blend and Water Blend aerosol products because they do not meet mandatory warning labelling requirements.... Continue reading this post
- Kids eyeglass cases recalled because of lead levels
- About 1,500 childrens' eyeglass cases have been recalled because paint on the cases contains lead levels in excess of federal standards.... Continue reading this post