CBCnews

Safety alert issued for Halloween lights given to Manitoba schoolchildren

Health Canada on Tuesday issued a safety advisory for small flashlights with whistles distributed to Manitoba schoolchildren for Halloween.

The federal agency warns the whistle-flashers contain small batteries that may be removed.

"If swallowed, the batteries could become lodged in the throat," the federal agency said in the advisory.

"Medical professionals advise that if a battery is swallowed or becomes lodged in a child's nose or ear, parents should take them to the hospital immediately."

The advisory applies to 100,000 bright green whistle-flashers provided by Manitoba Public Insurance to more than 700 schools in the province.

Parents are advised to take the whistle-flashers away from children.

Health Canada advisory