Gateway recalls overheating notebook batteries

The Associated Press

Lithium-ion battery packs shipped with some Gateway Inc. notebook computers pose a fire danger, leading to a voluntary recall Tuesday by Gateway and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The battery packs can overheat and pose a fire hazard, the commission said in a news release. Gateway has received four reports of battery packs overheating, resulting in some minor property damage. No injuries were reported.

About 14,000 battery packs shipped as the primary or spare power sources for some Gateway 400VTX and 450ROG series notebooks — identified by part number 6500760 or 6500761 — were recalled. The part number and "made by SMP" are printed on a label on the underside of the battery pack.

The batteries were sold from May 2003 through August 2003, Gateway said in a statement.

This is not an internal battery cell defect, the commission said.

Recall notice