Safety alert: Indoor extension cords sold in Ontario may be dangerous
- January 24, 2007 4:39 PM
- By Peter Hadzipetros
Some non-certified indoor extension cords that were sold at discount stores in Ontario may cause fires or give people a shock, according to the province's electrical safety watchdog.
The Electrical Safety Authority said the cords were packaged in lengths of six, nine and 12 feet (1.8, 2.7 and 3.7 metres) and marked with the rating 10A-125V-1625W 16/2 SPT-2.
The ESA warns that the wire in the cords is undersized and may overheat, posing a fire hazard.
The cords are also improperly wired with reverse polarity, putting the user in danger of a shock hazard. The products have not been tested by a recognized certification agency.
The ESA says people should stop using the cords immediately.
- Seymour Custom Solvent recalled over labelling
- Health Canada has recalled 16,000 Seymour Custom Solvent Blend and Water Blend aerosol products because they do not meet mandatory warning labelling requirements.... Continue reading this post
- Kids eyeglass cases recalled because of lead levels
- About 1,500 childrens' eyeglass cases have been recalled because paint on the cases contains lead levels in excess of federal standards.... Continue reading this post