- August 13, 2010 1:08 PM |
- By Kevin Yarr
When the fresh peas came into season in July, I was again transported back to my grandmother’s front porch.
My grandparents had a porch straight out of a story book: spacious and sheltered from the elements, the ceiling finished with tongue and groove boards. It looked out over a front yard bordered by giant maples. In July, we would sit out there at a table and shell peas for the midday meal.
Thinking back, it seems likely I performed that task with her fewer than a dozen times as a child. She didn’t live in the same town, and there would have been a limited number of July meals we shared there. Still the memory remains vivid for me.
And so every time I shell peas I am returned to that front porch with her.
What foods bring vivid memories to your mind?
All News blogs
- Ask Anthony Bourdain
- Chef, author and TV personality Anthony Bourdain is brash, opinionated and a straight talker unafraid to broadcast his warts-and-all perceptions - all qualities that have made him a bestselling author, a popular blogger and a brilliant guest judge for the... Continue reading this post
- Food-borne memories
- Whenever the fresh peas come into season, I am once again transported back to my grandmother’s front porch.... Continue reading this post
- A farmer's market by any other name
- While both farmer's markets and grocery stores are in the business of selling food, the atmosphere and purpose are infinitely different. But Loblaw Cos. Ltd. is hoping to meld the convenience of the grocery store with the charm of the market.... Continue reading this post