Refreshing Ferran Adria's culinary creativity
- January 28, 2010 2:43 PM |
- By Jessica Wong
Ferran Adria, seen here at a Tokyo food summit in 2009, will close his famed Spanish restaurant el Bulli in 2012 and 2013. (Shizuo Kambayashi/Associated Press)
Citing a need to recharge and reinvent, world renowned chef Ferran Adria announced this week his plan to temporarily close his famed el Bulli restaurant in 2012.
Adria is the grand wizard of the molecular gastronomy movement that introduced seemingly magical, boundary-stretching, food-transforming techniques to the restaurant table and brought foams, atomized liquids, freeze-dried or similarly unusually prepared concoctions to the forefront.
On Tuesday, at a press conference held during a noted Spanish culinary event, Adria unveiled his plan to close el Bulli in 2012 and 2013.
"With a format like the current one, it is impossible to keep creating," he told the assembled reporters.
The move to take an extended break is an interesting one because Adria is one of those chefs who push the boundaries of gastronomy beyond producing sustenance into consumable art.
It's also nice to know that even superchefs like Adria can somewhat be just like us regular home cooks who, at times, feel lacklustre or uninspired in the kitchen.
What do you do when your cooking or eating becomes tired or routine?
All News blogs
- Food in times of sorrow
- In spring, a doctor discovered that my grandfather had glioblastoma multiforme, the deadliest and most aggressive primary brain tumour. As he battled the tumour over the following months, it was food that connected the family and allowed him to still 'live' instead of merely survive. Later on,... Continue reading this post
- Going deep in Chicago
- No, I’m not talking the Chicago Cubs, I’m talking Pizzaria Uno, creator of the original deep dish pizza.... Continue reading this post
- Q&A with Khalil Akhtar, host of The Main Ingredient
- The Main Ingredient is one of CBC Radio's new summer programs. It's an inside look on the food we grow, buy and eat. In a Q&A, host Khalil Akhtar took the time to discuss his relationship with food and why... Continue reading this post