I dream of ice cream
- August 13, 2009 3:20 PM |
- By Amber Hildebrandt
A tempting bowl of lemon meringue ice cream. (Larry Crowe/Associated Press)
It may be the middle of August, but here in Toronto we're only now getting a taste of summer temperatures. The thunderstorm-heavy weather has (finally) given way to a welcome cloudless heat. And with it, I can't stop thinking of that quintessential summer staple: ice cream.
Though I dream of making it myself, I have not. Utensils for pickling, alas, took space priority in my cramped kitchen.
But I can still dream. And I do. Almost without fail, every time I meet up with my friend Andrea we excitedly talk about possible ice cream concoctions.
Here are a few drool-worthy recipes that seriously tempt me to reconsider my priorities:
- Sweet corn ice cream
- Brown butter ice cream
- Heather honey ice cream
- Earl grey ice cream
- Goma, or black sesame, ice cream
- Red beet ice cream
Have you made ice cream? What's your favourite homemade ice cream flavour? Have you come up with your own concoctions?
All News blogs
- Food in times of sorrow
- In spring, a doctor discovered that my grandfather had glioblastoma multiforme, the deadliest and most aggressive primary brain tumour. As he battled the tumour over the following months, it was food that connected the family and allowed him to still 'live' instead of merely survive. Later on,... Continue reading this post
- Going deep in Chicago
- No, I’m not talking the Chicago Cubs, I’m talking Pizzaria Uno, creator of the original deep dish pizza.... Continue reading this post
- Q&A with Khalil Akhtar, host of The Main Ingredient
- The Main Ingredient is one of CBC Radio's new summer programs. It's an inside look on the food we grow, buy and eat. In a Q&A, host Khalil Akhtar took the time to discuss his relationship with food and why... Continue reading this post