CBC News
Story Tools: PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK

Ruffled feathers: the debate over backyard chicken coops

hildebrandt-amber-52.jpg
by Jessica Wong, CBCNews.ca

Having spent my whole life in Toronto, I haven't had much opportunity to encounter live chickens, but the idea of keeping a few hens in one's urban or suburban backyard fascinates me.

Vancouver is the latest city to tackle the issue, with city councillors voting last week to study the situation and draft a bylaw amendment, but the concept that residential chicken coop-proponents and opponents have been fighting over for years — from Summerside, PEI to Halifax to Chicago.

vancouver-chicken
Currently, Vancouver residents can raise chickens in their backyards if they own a minimum one-acre property. (CBC).

While some backyard coop fans cite the recent trend of eating locally as their impetus, the current recession also provides a thrifty new argument for keeping a few hens kicking and scratching out back.

Still, concerns over noise and predators (having lost many a battle for backyard dominance to aggressive Toronto raccoons), are valid. And, come winter, is it simply time for chicken stew (or a roast dinner)?

Would you consider installing a backyard chicken coop? Why?

« Previous Post | Main | Next Post »

This discussion is now Open. Submit your Comment.

Comments

Ken Johnston

Toronto

While the idea of a back-yard coop sounds romantic and fun, the reality is probably less so. Especially when you have to consider, what do you do with the really smelly poop.

Posted March 11, 2009 01:13 PM

John

Edmonton

Growing up on a farm, I certainly appreciated the availability of fresh eggs and meat from our chickens. Recently I have been wondering about the ability to keep a few chickens, but haven't pursued it. My friends, of course, laugh at the suggestion, but the benefits keep adding up. Besides, there are plenty of less healthy habits to keep!

Posted March 11, 2009 09:17 PM

tina

You bet I would! There is much to be learned from raising chickens....and eating them! They recycle alot of kitchen scraps...provide eggs (and eventually meat)and are a means to teach our children how to raise their own food! It is something we are all going to need to do if prices keep increasing and wages don't!

Posted March 11, 2009 09:48 PM

Celeste Sansregret

Winnipeg

One of my favorite photographs from my childhood is a picture of Baba - my great-grandmother standing in the front yard of her house in Point Douglas in Winnipeg in her vegetable garden with an apron full of chicks.

Urban chicken coops were commonplace in the Chinese, Greek and Portuguese neighborhoods of Toronto when I first moved there 25 years ago, There were live chickens in Kensington Market too. The old man next door on Clinton had a rooster who awoke half the street at dawn. Toronto changed its by-laws and the chickens disappeared.

I miss those chickens - and the thrifty, practical old country people who kept them. I'm not sure what my landlord would say about a chicken coop on the balcony though...

I'd be quite happy to see chickens and chicken coops in the city again. If people are doing it for environmental reasons maybe city garages could stop housing the car and start housing a few hens and a few bicycles instead.

Posted March 11, 2009 11:18 PM

Paul Hughes

Calgary

A couple years ago when my son was 4, he watched over 20 hens & roosters for the winter and summer, collecting the eggs and feeding/watering them twice a day. He loved doing it and he is excited we may have chickens again.

Posted March 11, 2009 11:47 PM

jeff costello

I grew up in Toronto but now live on the frontier's edge in Prince George on 5 acres. six years ago we built a little coop for a dozen hens. Now we have over fifty!! They're kinda cute in a dorky sort of way. They'll trim your grass, eat bugs (ours loved pine beetle larvae) and most egg layers will give you one nifty egg a day. They'll eat all you compost too. A warning....chicken wire stops chickens....not the neighbour's dog as we found out. That's when you find out just how territorial you are. I awed that Vancouver had the nerve to do this. Two or three birds would be great for a family....up until that first -10c. Then the question is to heat lamp or not to heat lamp?
This is a great idea.

Posted March 12, 2009 01:51 AM

Paula Shackleton

Whistler

We have an Italian neighbor in Vancouver who kept voice-less chickens dating back to 20 years ago. He also grew all his tomatoes for the year's supply of pasta sauce, the ubiquitous broad bean teepees, a fig tree, and garlic. Unfortunately the city outlawed his chickens (which were no bother to anyone) but he kept on with his garden. It covered his entire yard with the exception of the boulevard swath out front of the house, but every other square inch had something edible growing. He sadly had an accident one frosty morning and fell off his roof and sustained a head injury and has never quite been the same old Dominic. But the garden grows - bring on the chickens, Dominic!

Posted March 12, 2009 04:16 AM

C J Sheldon

I am contemplating a backyard chicken coop. The reason would be my demand for and the increasing general demand for pasture-raised chicken and eggs. I hear on the Farming Today program in the UK that demand is outstripping supply in this country. This means that chickens are raised in barns, with access to the outdoors, but they often take little advantage of the rainy field available to them because food is plentiful in the warm dry shelter. Thus (1) land is being devoted to chickens which could better be devoted to growing grains and vegetables; and (2) "pasture raised" may not live up to the name.
Lawn raised will do for me. A Dutch friend lets his chickens of their large coop a couple of hours before dark. They charge all over the lawn eating grass and bugs, never getting as far as the vegetable garden where they would wreak havoc. They put themselves to bed when the sun goes down.

Posted March 12, 2009 04:19 AM

ben sanamimorrill

Yes absolutely! I have been all over the world for example in China I often hear about people saying they respect farmers but in theory only. If you ask them what do they thing if their children became farmers they protest - no way. Most people - anywhere would never think of getting their hands "dirty" farming and would prefer the "easy" "office" over "hard" "dirty" manual labor. I think it is very sad to hear children growing up today thinking that rice is polished and from a bag, vegetables/fruit washed and bagged, meat comes from the supermarket all wrapped up in plastic, meat and fish with the head, tail chopped off and guts stripped and washed de-boned and de-skinned. This is not food. When I hear Canadians/Americans in China or Japan they get sick when they see the head on a fish. Fortunately, the world is not like the typical Canadian/American and can eat fish with the head on etc. I believe for my children's own learning needs I will definately keep chickens/ducks anything small. After all my parents as well as my wife's parents (from China)had chickens, rabbits, goats and a large garden so we knew where things came from. My wife often asks me why do Japanese and Canadians don't like chicken de-boned and de-skinned? Well how can I answer this question except say I don't know. I really enjoy hearing and seeing animals in the city - we are animals too we have to learn to co-exist with our food, with nature. Anyone who says animals are noisy, then what about automobiles - they stink, pollute and are noisier than a few chickens. Grow locally eat locally. Know where your food comes from.

Posted March 12, 2009 04:53 AM

mrssauga

I've often thought that having some chickens in a coop would be a great thing. We love to eat eggs and to know what feed the chickens are getting, etc., would be an asset. As far as killng them, I don't at the moment have the stomach to however what I would likely do is pay a local farmer to kill and clean them for me. That way they make some money, we get our chickens. The killing of livestock by neighbouring farmers is not an uncommon practice at all.

Posted March 12, 2009 05:52 AM

Theresa Smith

Yes, of course I would have laying hens in my backyard. I recently rented out my house in town and rented a farm house outside of town in order to raise laying hens without "ruffleing any feathers" among my town neighbors.
As to the rodent/predator argument, in town my cats would leave dead rats in the yard, after 5 months in the rural area, no dead rats in the yard. This is with open grain storage in the barn.

Posted March 12, 2009 06:30 AM

Christy Gain

Yes, I would like to have hens. I lived on a hobby farm near Nelson BC, where we had meat birds. Our neighbour had hens and roosters. The roosters were loud. The hens made sweet little noises, accept when laying then they made loud bock bock bocks. I think that as long as it doesnt bother the neighbours then it should be allowed. It is a good idea if the neighbours are tollerant of the odd little farmy noise, and the chicken owners keep the manure cleaned out of the pens and composted properly (layered with carbon material) so that the smell would be minimal. I for one would love to have my own eggs to eat.

Posted March 12, 2009 08:46 AM

PHI

Toronto

There will be complaints of sanitation, animal welfare, disease transmission such as avian flu. Who will monitor these backyard coops? Most properties in Toronto and too small to have a coop that won't affect neighbours with noise, odour, and sanitation. Its difficult with all the barking dogs and their waste that the owners don't clean up as often as they should...now add chicken poop and cockadoodledooing!
Look at all the complaints about people keeping and feeding pigeons! Keep chickens on the farm!

Posted March 12, 2009 09:01 AM

adem

calgary

very good idea,fresh eggs,yummyyyy

Posted March 12, 2009 10:41 AM

Steve

Vancouver

It will really get interesting when the next bird-flue outbreak comes along.

AAAaaaAAaaaChoooooCluck

Posted March 12, 2009 11:30 AM

Asha

Vancouver

I do support the idea of people keeping backyard chicken coops, but I think that the Vancouver needs to put in some rules to protect both the animals and neighbours from unprepared and/or irresponsible would-be farmers.
First off, there should be a maximum number of chickens allowed. Let's be honest, how many chickens can even a family need?
I would like to see a simple required permit for setting up a chicken coop. If I have to get a permit to park on my street, then I don't see why it should be a big deal for someone to pay a $30 fee to get a permit for a chicken coop.
Also, there would need to be some simple and clear rules about issues like noise and smell. Chicken manure smells bad and a improperly kept chicken coop smells worse. I don't want to have to deal with the smell of a pile of chicken manure wafting over from a neighbours yard in the middle of summer.
Lastly, there should be some measures put in to push those that neglect or abandon their chickens.
If the city can enact some simple & clear by-laws to help make this easy for everyone to deal with, there won't be a problem.

Posted March 12, 2009 12:22 PM

Dimitrios R

Great idea,,fresh eggs and the occasional fresh chicken and what a better way to wake up in the morning than to the sound of a rooster.

Posted March 12, 2009 01:37 PM

Anjohl

NFLD

Sure, why not? Anything that makes people more self sufficient is for the better.

The gasoline-powered lifestyle we have grown used to has a half-life...

Posted March 12, 2009 02:11 PM

Aga

Toronto

I would personally love to install a chicken coup on my 2000 square foot Toronto backyard. There are folk living in my neighbourhood (about 10-15km from City Hall) that keep them in their homes. However just buying a fancy chicken dome (which is advertised as being predator-proof) I'm aware that there are some other issues... Namely chicken health. What do you do if your chickens are sick? Would you even know? Would my dog/cat vet know how and when to vaccinate the birds? I would hate to spend the money on the gear only to end up with a bunch of dead birds in my yard.

Posted March 12, 2009 02:39 PM

BokBokBok

I think having backyard chickens are a great idea! Victoria has allowed backyard chickens, with several rules albeit, for years now. It's been a very successful program. The chickens keep the yard clean, their droppings can be used as fertilizer and composted, and their eggs are always appreciated. They also connect a neighbourhood. Children are fascinated by them. The chickens can be used as an education tool, connecting kids with their food and the agricultural significance of them. Opponents shouldn't knock it until they've tried it.

Posted March 12, 2009 03:04 PM

Jen

Quebec

While I don't disagree with the idea in principle (some folks feel it might put them more "in touch" with nature; some folks might do it to eat organic meat), I wonder how many city folks would be willing to properly educate themselves about the proper care the animals should receive. It seems that many dog and cat owners don't even bother to educate themselves about the true responsibility of keeping animals; I can only imagine what might happen if backyard coops are allowed. (I would love to have one, but I'm not up for that responsibility...I think it's better left to the pros - the smaller-scale farmers).

Posted March 12, 2009 03:15 PM

sarah

Halifax

I would love to have a few chickens in my backyard - in fact, this summer I am moving to the country to do just that! If we could have a few chickens (and a larger size yard), we might stay in the city.

I think that the idea of eating fresh eggs and meat coming from chickens that were fed from your own hand, not full of chemicals and hormones, that you know for a fact lived a happy, healthy life is a wonderful thing!

The 100 km diet is a great idea - I grow most of my own food in the summer, and buy the rest from local producers whenever I can. The coffee and orange juice have me stymied though - can't grow that locally! And I can't seem to give those up.

Posted March 12, 2009 03:50 PM

John Wiens

Marpole

If I had a backyard I would definately keep a halfdozen laying hens.I am an avid gardener and you can't beat fresh day old eggs.Along with a chicken permit a short course would probably be a possible suggestion to allay neighbour concerns and"chicken abuse"

Posted March 12, 2009 05:54 PM

CMacK73

There is absolutely no reason why 4-6 little heirloom hens in an aesthetically-pleasing, well-kept run should be offensive in any way. Roosters in town are obviously a no-no and there's no need to have a large flock. Look after your birds and keep the run clean clean clean and you should have healthy, happy little ladies and fresh eggs to boot. I do agree that neighbours with pets that are noisy, smelly, and kept in unsightly and/or unhealthful living conditions are very undesireable and should be controlled through enforced bylaws. I'd rather have the neighbour with chickens as per my comments above than those with a large barking dog kept in a stinky run all day.

Posted March 12, 2009 06:33 PM

Hersh Seth

Definitely! We've lost touch with what life -and the art of staying alive- really is in these fast-food, everything processed, packaged times that we live in. Live off the earth, don't take more than you need, and respect the labor involved in producing the life we take for granted. I don't think there is anything wrong in people wanting to work a little for their food. If you have enough room in your backyard (and size of the backyard should be the only debate), then why not?

Posted March 12, 2009 06:43 PM

Cara

Yes. I would love to have a chicken coup within municipal boundaries. Eating organically, locally, and the ethical treatment of animals are all motivating factors. Food sovereignty may become a worldwide issue in the next few decades and this could be a good step to ensure ours for the future. I like to know how my food was raised, treated and killed; if I can do all this myself I will be sure the life and death of the animal are up to my standards.

Posted March 12, 2009 07:09 PM

Evelyn

London

Most definitely...I would love to have a few laying hens. Unfortunately I live in London and it will never happen here. God forbid if we had a few hens in the backyard "scratching a living" and giving us in return organic fresh eggs and chicken manure. As for neighbours who complain about the noise of a few chickens....I would much rather listen to the cackling of a few happy hens than the screetching of the neightbours kids morning, noon and night.

Posted March 16, 2009 09:42 AM

Henryck

ottawa

I though about doing it myself, but the municipal gov. is will not allow it. Too bad, I remember when I was young, we use to go and get the eggs each morning in the backyard. Now I have to buy those eggs at the store, but if you know what it is to pick up fresh eggs, you know that there's nothing really fresh at your local store! To me it seems like a yok in water!! yark!!!!

Posted March 16, 2009 10:32 AM

Greg

Junction

My brother keeps 3 hens in his back yard, and I have seriously considered it, having been brought up on a farm myself. I believe, within reason, that we should be able to keep chickens in our back yards. People might then have a more visceral connection to their food. Hens are quiet, (except when laying and egg!) and eat all the compostable table scraps reducing your feed cost and consuming a waste that has to be hauled off.

Posted March 18, 2009 12:38 PM

T Cobean

I am planning to have some hens this summer. A friend of mine has been raising them in Ontario for two years now. Five minutes a day, some feed and he has more fresh eggs then he knows what to do with. he has eight. I plan to have four or five. Looking forward to it as I live in zoned "rural" area and my nearest neighbour can not see my property through the forest. Perfect for eggs!

Posted March 19, 2009 06:33 PM

Molly (undercover name)

Calgary

I am in full support of a change to the bylaws in support of backyard chickens. Bylaws need to reflect the actual risks and problems associated with keeping animals. These risks and benefits need to be assessed against documented issues that relate to current realities. For example, most current bylaws that relate to urban livestock are decades if not centuries out of date.
I have three chickens in my back yard as we speak. They are easy to care for, eat my garden pests, provide hours of entertainment for family, neighbors and myself and provide us with all the eggs we need for a family of 4. My chickens cope with winter very well but are anxious for spring like the rest of us.

Posted March 24, 2009 10:16 AM

Old Guy.

The issue isn't about chickens but about responsibility of the owners. Chickens like any other animal require maintenance. They can be a benefit but anowner must care for them. Feeding, watering, sheltering, keeping the pens clean and above all protecting them from the many predators they will attract. Mice, rats, skunks, racoons, possum all these can be a problem. This all takes committment. Which generally appears to be lacking today.

Posted March 27, 2009 08:13 AM

tamara beni

hi. I had three birds in my two acre home until the neighbour complained.
My property abuts a dairy farm, and when he tried to say it was the smell he was laughed out of town.
His friend who happened to be a bylaw officer and a beer drinking buddy was the one who said i cant have the birds. Even though the person across the street has 20 turkeys, the one down the road has 55 guinea hens so on and so on.
I found that if someone complains that is when the bylaw jumps in to mess around but until then, we happily lived with fresh eggs, and never had a problem. In fact i had more people asking for my eggs and if i had extra.
With the economy being the way it is, i would think people have enough to think about without sticking their heads over their neighbours fence, to ensure they are following the "rules"
I have found the rules are changed often by the town to accomadate them, and growing developement, not to accomodate the home owner.
thanks for letting me get this off of my chest.

Posted March 27, 2009 01:12 PM

T. Henderson

Winnipeg

I would like to see urban coops in Winnipeg. People are really getting into organic foods and Green products. Having chickens would help build onto sustainable living. There should be a limit of 3 per household and people could be register so that by-law can check on them to make sure the household is following any guidelines. I feel Canada is so far behind other countries when it comes to Going Green and living a healthier lifestyle.

Posted March 29, 2009 09:27 AM

Sherry Mowbray

Toronto

I would love to have chickens in the backyard. We had about a dozen of them when I was a kid in B.C. and caring for them is no problem. My kids would have the opportunity to form a closer connection with their food source and add another simple chore to feel part of the responsibility of caring for our family.

Posted March 30, 2009 07:59 AM

Maria

Winnipeg

I would love to be able to own two or three chickens in my back yard for fresh eggs and perhaps meat. Like it or not, many Cities will have to grapple with this issue in the coming years considering that more and more people are now wanting to have more say and control over their food source.

Posted April 9, 2009 12:44 PM

Emily, 14

Vancouver

There's no way I can have chickens myself, but I strongly support backyard chickens. I hope the regulations are reasonable, predators are an issue. I live right near China Town and I've spotted raccoons and coyotes right in front of my house.

Posted April 10, 2009 04:41 PM

Jake

Mississauga

yes, chickens should be allowed in urban areas especially if their are responsible owners. Watch, one day theres going to be a cat influenza outbreak

Posted April 25, 2009 06:09 PM

Jake

Mississauga

Even if there are a lot of raccoons and coyotes around cities thats why humans invented a things called a coops or cages.

Posted April 25, 2009 06:14 PM

Melissa Wilson

I live in Ottawa. I would love to see suburbanites allowed to have chickens in the backyard. A limit of 3 chickens and no roosters seems to have worked in other cities that have created bylaws to address owning chickens. We have registering of our dogs and cats - why not have owners register the number of chickens they plan on maintaining for a minimal fee ($10 per year?). This would ensure that the City is aware of who has chickens and protect the chickens in the event of a surprise inspection. Fresh eggs would be wonderful. Personally, my chickens would be more like pets and never eaten but I support others who would opt to eat their chickens so long as it is done in a humane way. Be proactive City of Ottawa!

Posted May 28, 2009 04:44 PM

Tory

One thing people have to know - you cannot kill the birds yourself - you must take them to a poultry facility to have this done, or perhaps a butcher shop. Regardless, this has to be regulated.

Posted June 16, 2009 01:08 PM

tony clark

All the city folk think keeping Chickens is fun etc. Ever stop to think why most farmers do NOT keep them.I can buy a dozen eggs for

Posted June 16, 2009 06:57 PM

Trisha

Toronto

re: backyard chickens,
The animal shelters would be overwhelmed with abandoned/neglected chickens in no time, when people either get fed up caring for them or are just not caring for them properly.
What about the potential odour in the heat?
What happens when the weather is not suitable for them to be outdoors in cages or when they are attacked by predators?
I am afraid that this will just result in animal cruelty.

Also does "backyard chickens" include roosters as well as hens?
Someone had a rooster in the neighbourhood a couple of years ago, I live in a high rise building in the east end of Toronto and heard cockadoodledoo every crack of dawn and every evening!
I'm an animal person and I did not mind it but that's just me, and it was only one rooster!
Imagine crowing roosters all around, no one will ever complain about dogs barking!
Wait till the novelty wears off!

Posted June 18, 2009 10:14 PM

Margaret

Calgary

You PUT your CHICKEN MANURE in your GARDEN!!! For Godsake - what is wrong with people?? If someone is "green" enough to want to keep a couple of chickens, they're more than likely already going to have a GARDEN! And they probably have a lawn - and chickens are great for scratching around and fertilizing a lawn. They eat bugs, they leave very rich manure.

Their wings have to be clipped I believe, to keep them earthbound. They do not crap as much or as disgustingly as dogs do, or cats. They're not as messy as seagulls.

No wonder Canada can't go green - people are too stuck in the 50s, and they think we left farms behind because farm animals are disgusting and it's better in the city.

You'll improve the nutrition of hundreds of kids. !! Healthy chickens don't carry disease, any more than healthy cats and dogs. However, dog crap carries parasites, nasty parasites. Unkown to chickens. !! Hookworm, roundworm, pinworm, just for example. Cats litter can cause pregnant women to abort, if the cats have been eating anything raw.

We ALREADY LIVE WITH ANIMALS. Pythons, dangerous dogs, all kinds of bloody birds in cages, some of which are bigger than chickens and crap more, and crap in the HOUSE. People have exotic cats - half-leopard. Rabbits abound, so do guinea pigs. So do FERRETS, hamsters, chinchillas, you name a rodent, and it's in someone's house.

This is just another type of animal, people. Get a grip. It could improve nutrition for hundreds of kids.

Posted July 17, 2009 11:25 PM

Rob Sutherland

Shuswap

I think it is a great idea to allow a few chickens in the backyards of residential areas. Possibly regulate the number of chickens allowed based on the size of the open land space or space required by pen. I know i'd like to have a couple chickens in the backyard for eggs and a dinner close to winter.

Posted July 25, 2009 03:54 PM

John Doe

Mississauga

Hello,
I am quite interested in keeping couple of hens in my backyard, however, I am unsure whether it is legal--I know that in Toronto it's illegal to keep hens in the backyard but not in Mississauga. Can someone please tell me whether this is legal (with the relevant link).
Sincere thanks
John

Posted August 23, 2009 11:31 AM

Mike

Winnipeg

PHI

Toronto

Complainers like this are the reason nothing progresive or productive ever happens in our country. If we are to improve, environmentaly or socialy we need to be able to except things that are outside of our "normal bubble." I personally would rather have the noise and smell of a few chickens then that of constant sirens, horns and traffic. I see this torontonians comments about smellquite funny considering toront is widely known as the smog capitol of canada....... oh ya how that garbage stike working out for you?

Posted September 7, 2009 10:14 PM

mo tomchuk

In 2005,Natural Home and Garden reprinted an article( permission to repint from Ode Magazine)regarding the recycling abilities of chickens." Chickens are omnivores who love left overs. In one month,a chicken can devour about 9 lbs of kitchen biodegradable garbage....in return it will lay eggs, thedroppings can become fertilizer. The municipality of Diest, in Flanders gave 2000 households 3 chickens each. Officials in Diest see the chickens as an economical solution to the costly problem of recycling biodegradable trash, which costs the town about $600,000 annually.
Here in Merritt we are starting a pilot project..certain sized lots could apply for a one year experiment..allowing 6 chickens only...no roosters. It's a step forward in recycling.

Posted October 19, 2009 06:04 AM

David Panfili

Montreal

My chickens survived two winters outdoors. the roast was twice as good

Posted November 21, 2009 04:49 PM

alisa mcclain

ottawa

Ken: the poop is not that smelly, and it makes *fantastic* fertilizer for a garden. Anyone keeping chickens probably also grows at least a few vegetables.

Posted December 31, 2009 04:28 PM

« Previous Post | Main | Next Post »

Disclaimer:

Note: By submitting your comments you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that due to the volume of e-mails we receive, not all comments will be published, and those that are published will not be edited. But all will be carefully read, considered and appreciated.

Note: Due to volume there will be a delay before your comment is processed. Your comment will go through even if you leave this page immediately afterwards.

Privacy Policy | Submissions Policy

Food Bytes »

About the blog

From trends and culture to politics and nutrition, Food Bytes serves up tasty tidbits about food and the issues surrounding it that flavour our everyday lives.

About the writers

Amber Hildebrandt Amber Hildebrandt writes for CBCNews.ca in Toronto. Growing up on a farm in Manitoba, she acquired an insatiable appetite, but it was during a stint in Japan that she developed her discerning tastebuds and "foodie" ways.

Andrea Chiu Andrea Chiu is an associate producer at CBC Radio Digital. Though she loves to eat, cook and discuss food, don't ask her to bake. It never turns out well. She tweets as @TOfoodie on Twitter and organizes food and wine events in Toronto called FoodieMeet.

Tara Kimura Tara Kimura is the consumer life reporter for CBCNews.ca, covering a wide range of issues that range from rising food costs and the growing organic movement, to new trends in the marketplace.

Andree Lau Andree Lau is a CBC web reporter in Calgary. Her journalism career includes seven years as a CBC-TV reporter. Her own blog called "are you gonna eat that?" chronicles her eating adventures (including sampling snake and camel hoof tendon).

Jessica Wong Jessica Wong is a CBCNews.ca writer who loves to eat and cook, as well as discuss, read and watch programming about food, sometimes all at once.

Kevin Yarr Kevin Yarr, CBCNews.ca's writer in Prince Edward Island, wrote about food and beer for national and regional magazines before joining the CBC. He acquired a desire for new tastes on his first trip to Europe, and an appreciation of eating locally and in season when he finally settled down on P.E.I.

Elizabeth Bridge Elizabeth Bridge is a writer with the CBC Digital Archives in Toronto. She first ventured into the kitchen as a child to indulge a sweet tooth by baking cookies and making fudge. A student budget compelled her to be a vegetarian (for a while) and instilled in her an ongoing curiosity about food and cooking.

Related

Food features

Recent Posts

Holiday round-up
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Food smackdown: Latke vs. Hamantash
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Taking in the heat of celeb kitchens
Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tara Kimura (38)
Trends (40)
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Story Tools: PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK

World »

Analysis Ottawa Parliament shooting: We've known this day was coming video
As Canadians, we've been lucky up to this point, Brian Stewart writes. We've been telling ourselves for some time now we could be the object of a terror attack. Now is the time to show our resilience.
Updated Ottawa shooting called 'tragic' by Obama, world leaders video
The shooting in Ottawa drew international attention and reaction from Canada's closest ally, the United States, and beyond. President Barack Obama offered his support and condolences in a call with Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other world leaders did the same.
ISIS fight: Turkey says 200 Kurdish peshmerga fighters can cross to Syria video
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan says agreement has been reached on sending 200 Kurdish peshmerga fighters from Iraq through Turkey to help defend the Syrian border town of Kobani against ISIS militants.
more »

Canada »

Live Ottawa shooting: How Parliament will carry on video
MPs will be sitting in the House of Commons as usual today following yesterday's deadly shooting in the capital, but security measures will likely be stepped up and the Hill will be closed to visitors.
Exclusive Ottawa shooting: 15 minutes of terror in the Conservative caucus room video
Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his Conservative MPs pinned themselves against the walls of their barricaded caucus room after piling furniture against the door to prevent a gunman from entering during Wednesday's chaotic attack on Parliament Hill.
Ottawa attack: 5 questions about the shootings on Parliament Hill video
While it will no doubt take some time to piece together what led to Wednesday's shooting in Ottawa, here are five pointed questions that need to be answered.
more »

Politics »

Live Ottawa shooting: How Parliament will carry on video
Live Ottawa shooting: MPs to meet at National War Memorial before Parliament resumes video
Members of Parliament plan to meet at the National War Memorial this morning to honour fallen soldier Cpl. Nathan Cirillo before parliamentary business resumes.
more »

Health »

Sorry - we can't find that page

CBC.ca

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.

1. Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
  2. Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
  3. Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
  4. Visit our site map page

In a few moments, you will be taken to our site map page, which will help you find what you looking for.

more »

Arts & Entertainment»

New Wilko Johnson, British guitarist, says he's cancer-free after terminal diagnosis
British guitarist Wilko Johnson says doctors cured him after radical surgery to remove 3kg tumour.
The Walking Dead's Laurie Holden describes her role in Colombian sex slave sting video
The Canadian-American actress and former The Walking Dead star, Laurie Holden, says she checked her "fear at the gate" in recent undercover sex-trafficking sting.
Best new movies and videos for week of Oct 20: The Watchlist video
A Gone Girl worth feasting on; Mexican and Japanese folk tales and Downton Abbey's Dan Steven's sinister new role: This is your list of what to watch this week.
more »

Technology & Science »

Partial solar eclipse visible across most of Canada today audio
The moon will take a bite out of the sun this afternoon during a partial solar eclipse that will be visible across much of Canada, but not in the Maritimes.
Deinocheirus fossils reveal dinosaur behind huge 'T.rex' arms
In 1965, paleontologists dug up a gargantuan pair of tyrannosaur-like fossil dinosaur arms. Now, finally, they have uncovered the rest of the dinosaur and found it 'more bizarre than we could even possibly have imagined.'
Google unveils Inbox app pitched as smarter version of Gmail
Google has introduced a new app aimed at making it easier for its Gmail users to find and manage information from their inbox more effectively.
more »

Money »

New Apple Pay double-billing prompts Bank of America apology
Some customers have reported they were charged twice for the same purchase when they used Bank of America debit cards with Apple Pay, and the banking giant apologized for the glitch on Tuesday.
Analysis Stephen Poloz awaits sunrise after Canada's long industrial sunset: Don Pittis
While Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz remained safe during the violence in Ottawa yesterday, the central bank couldn't guarantee the same thing for the Canadian economy, Don Pittis writes.
Stocks down amid nervousness over Ottawa shooting
Canada's main stock index dropped on Wednesday after a four-day winning streak as investors reacted nervously to monetary policy commentary from the Bank of Canada and news of shootings in Ottawa.
more »

Consumer Life »

Sorry - we can't find that page

CBC.ca

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.

1. Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
  2. Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
  3. Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
  4. Visit our site map page

more »

Sports »

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Pittsburgh Penguins show solidarity by playing 'O Canada' video
The Pittsburgh Penguins made a classy move Wednesday night by including the Canadian national anthem before their game against the Philadelphia Flyers as a show of support following a tragic day in Ottawa.
Recap NHL: 4 stories from Wednesday night video
For only the second time in the history of the National Hockey League a game was postponed because of a violent outside incident. The Toronto Maple Leafs at Ottawa Senators game was postponed Wednesday morning because of the shootings in downtown Ottawa in and around the parliament buildings.
NHL reacts to tragic day in Ottawa
Ottawa Senators' players reached out to those impacted by the terrible day in the Nation's capital using social media.
more »