World's most expensive dessert priced at $14,500
- September 24, 2007 12:25 PM
- By Commodities
The Associated Press
This dessert may be a little too rich for you, but you're probably not rich enough for it. A Sri Lankan resort is charging $14,500 US for what it calls the world's most expensive dessert, a fruit-infused confection complete with a chocolate sculpture and a gigantic gemstone.
"The Fortress Stilt Fisherman Indulgence" was created to give visitors at The Fortress resort in the coastal city of Galle a one-of-a-kind experience, said the hotel's public relations manager, Shalini Perera.
The dessert is a gold leaf Italian cassata flavoured with Irish cream, served with a mango and pomegranate compote, and a champagne sabayon enlighten. The dessert is decorated with a chocolate carving of a fisherman clinging to a stilt, an age-old local fishing practice, and an 80-carat aquamarine stone.
The dessert has to be specially ordered, Perera said. Though the hotel has gotten calls about it from as far away as Japan, she said, no one has yet forked over the money to try it.
- Chinese county revokes rule requiring officials to smoke local cigarettes
- A county in rural China has backtracked on an edict that government employees must smoke only locally made cigarettes after the order was reported in a newspaper.... Continue reading this post
- Brits set to nosh on squirrel-flavoured potato chips
- British tastebuds will never be the same, as a gaggle of outlandish potato chip varieties – including Cajun squirrel – hit store shelves across the country on Friday.... Continue reading this post