Beatles to make appearance on U.K. stamps
- December 28, 2006 1:31 PM
- By Commodities
The Fab Four are set for another U.K. honour in 2007, with the Royal Mail announcing on Thursday an upcoming postage stamp series featuring famous Beatles album covers.
Starting Jan. 9, the Royal Mail will celebrate the Beatles' "extraordinary cultural contribution to Britain" with its release of a six-stamp series.
The set will feature the covers from With the Beatles, Help!, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Abbey Road and Let It Be.
The Beatles continue to have a huge devoted following around the world, with the band's memorabilia commanding high prices from fans at auction. The surviving members of the band, and the families of the deceased members, are also locked in several lawsuits over musical and other copyrights.
The Royal Mail's postage stamp tribute comes more than 35 years after the band broke up in 1970. John Lennon was killed by a crazed fan a decade later and George Harrison died of cancer in 2001.
While surviving drummer Ringo Starr has largely stayed out of the spotlight in recent years, Paul McCartney has remained in the headlines because of his concert appearances, his activism and his bitter divorce from second wife, Heather Mills.
- Chinese county revokes rule requiring officials to smoke local cigarettes
- A county in rural China has backtracked on an edict that government employees must smoke only locally made cigarettes after the order was reported in a newspaper.... Continue reading this post
- Brits set to nosh on squirrel-flavoured potato chips
- British tastebuds will never be the same, as a gaggle of outlandish potato chip varieties – including Cajun squirrel – hit store shelves across the country on Friday.... Continue reading this post