Theatre: October 2012 Archives
Tuesday October 2, 2012
With careers to build, families to feed and mortgages to pay, being a philanthropsist seems far off.
But arts organizations are increasingly reaching out to young people of more modest means.
The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts has a newly-formed group of young philanthropists. The group is called Le Cercle, and it aims to get young professionals involved in the museum events. It allows young people to network and get involved in museum activities.
The cost to join Le Cercle is relatively modest (around $50 per event), but it serves to build a link between the instution and donors who will hopefully remain involved for decade to come.
The MMFA isn't the only institution looking to recruit young donors. The Montreal Symphony Orchestra also has a group of Young Ambassadors which gives members access to trendy evenings with cocktails and special performances.
Meanwhile, smaller arts organizations are turning to the internet.
Montreal-based Talisman Theatre, which adapts French-language Quebecois plays for an English audience, used crowdfunding site Indiegogo to fund it's upcoming production of The Medea Effect. (Opening October 11.)
Listen to Jeanette's conversation with Marc-Antoine Saumier, President of Le Cercle, and Lyne Paquette, Artistic Director of The Medea Effect at the Talisman Theatre.
(Pictured, left to right: Lyne Paquette, Jeanette Kelly, Marc-Antoine Saumier)
Categories: Theatre, Visual Art
- March 2014
- February 2014
- Wed., 19 – The Future
- January 2014
- Fri., 17 – A question of choice
- November 2013
- Fri., 22 – The lure of the Big Smoke
- June 2013
- Thu., 6 – A Guide to Creative Montreal
- April 2013
- Sun., 7 – Young Canadians "getting short shrift"
- December 2012
- Sat., 8 – Mani Soleymanlou is a man on the move
- October 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- Sat., 19 – Are all the artists red?
- April 2012
- Sat., 14 – The sky is NOT falling
- February 2012
- Sat., 25 – Allan Hawco at the National Theatre School
- November 2011
- Sat., 26 – ANA -- A bilingual play
- September 2011
- Sat., 24 – Art: What's the Point?
- May 2011
- Sat., 28 – Masq'alors
- April 2011
- Sat., 9 – Equus
- February 2011
- January 2011
- Mon., 31 – The Culture Club goes to the theatre