Theatre: September 2011 Archives
Saturday September 24, 2011
There's a lot of nervousness in the arts community this fall. In June's federal budget, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said he wants to find a way to eliminate the deficit by 2014-2015.
That means the government has to find a way to save about 4 billion dollars a year, and many people who work in the arts are afraid they'll be on the chopping block.
McGill University is holding a public round table discussion about this issue, asking the question: "Faced with government cutbacks and media cynicism, what real and identifiable benefits do the arts contribute to the public good?"
Professor Paul Yachnin is moderating the discussion. He is McGill's Tomlinson Professor of Shakespeare Studies. Margie Gillis will be speaking on the panel. She is one of Quebec's best known contemporary dancers and choreographers.
Categories: Film, Film and TV, Spoken Word , Theatre, Visual Art, Writers, music
Tuesday September 6, 2011
Quincy Armorer is taking over from Tyrone Benskin. Benskin left because he was elected as the NDP member of Parliament for the Jeanne-Le Ber riding in Montreal.
Quincy Armorer is a well-known actor in Montreal. Listen to his conversation with guest host Anna Asimakopulos.
- March 2014
- February 2014
- Wed., 19 – The Future
- January 2014
- Fri., 17 – A question of choice
- November 2013
- Fri., 22 – The lure of the Big Smoke
- June 2013
- Thu., 6 – A Guide to Creative Montreal
- April 2013
- Sun., 7 – Young Canadians "getting short shrift"
- December 2012
- Sat., 8 – Mani Soleymanlou is a man on the move
- October 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- Sat., 19 – Are all the artists red?
- April 2012
- Sat., 14 – The sky is NOT falling
- February 2012
- Sat., 25 – Allan Hawco at the National Theatre School
- November 2011
- Sat., 26 – ANA -- A bilingual play
- September 2011
- Sat., 24 – Art: What's the Point?
- May 2011
- Sat., 28 – Masq'alors
- April 2011
- Sat., 9 – Equus
- February 2011
- January 2011
- Mon., 31 – The Culture Club goes to the theatre