Reports from Thursday's G20 protest
- July 2, 2010 1:01 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
Protest at Queen's Park calling for G20 inquiry. (Steven D'Souza/CBC)
By Your Voice team, CBC News
The G20 summit may have ended Sunday, but the aftermath continues. More than 2,000 people gathered in Toronto and Montreal on Thursday to protest the hundreds of arrests during last weekend's G20 summit.
Many demonstrators called for an independent public inquiry into the way security was handled during the summit, while some also wanted the resignation of Toronto police Chief Bill Blair.
About 1,000 protesters gathered at Queen's Park in Toronto before marching along University Avenue and then past Toronto police headquarters.
Two CBC reporters, Steven D'Souza and Patrick Morrell, attended the Toronto protest and provided updates on Twitter. Here is a recap of what they saw.
March begins: down University, across Dundas Street to Bay Street, up Bay to College Street, then back to Queen's Park. (Steven D'Souza/CBC)
A hundred or so protesters confront police at Bay and College, lots of angry words. (Steven D'Souza/CBC)
An "anti-demonstrator" demonstrator at Queen's Park. (Patrick Morrell/CBC)
Patrick Morrell and Steven D'Souza provided Twitter updates as the event progressed.
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post