G20 viewpoint: What police state? It is all a matter of perspective
- July 2, 2010 3:58 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
Activists march down University Avenue in downtown Toronto to demand a public inquiry into the security practices and preparation for the G8 and G20 summits. (Darren Calabrese/Canadian Press)
By Natasha Fatah, CBC News
I live in downtown Toronto and from my small balcony I have a clear view of Yonge St., the commercial artery that was turned into Protest Central during the G20 weekend.
From my building on Saturday I was able to witness the destruction that unfolded as an out-of-control mob started smashing the windows of the neighbourhood Starbucks and Tim Hortons as a protest against the G20 Summit in Toronto.
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post