Where the streets have no people
- June 19, 2010 1:01 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
University Avenue and Front Street: a ghost town (Heather Morrison)
By Heather Morrison, G20 citizen blogger
The streets of downtown Toronto felt like a ghost town today. In my nine years living in this city, I have never witnessed University Avenue and Front Street to be so dead. The odd tourist and soccer fan wandered the streets, while police teams guarded the fence enclosing the billion-dollar G20 security zone.
One officer I spoke with said they were tasked with ensuring no one damaged or spray-painted the fence over the weekend. Come Monday, when full security measures will be rolled out, normal citizens won't be able to come anywhere close to the fence or the zone without good reason to do so, he guessed.
I met Orly Nahmias, a laughter yoga instructor from Montreal, inside the zone. She marvelled at the prospect of such a large security zone, and said that she had come to see for herself how her hard-earned tax dollars were being spent. "When people ask me why I pay such high taxes, I can show them these pictures." She will leave Monday, just in time to avoid the full-fledged summit.
Curious onlooker Orly Nahmias. (Heather Morrison)
Have you taken a trip to see the security zone yet? Do you feel like it was a good use of your tax dollars?
Related: Meet the team
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post