The sheer scope of it all
- June 24, 2010 9:43 AM |
- By G20 Street Team
A police officer watches as a police motorcyclist drives past in Toronto during final preparations before the G20 summit. (Chris Young/Canadian Press)
By Dale Boyer, G20 citizen blogger
We are currently in rehearsals for our 66th revue at Second City, and today our director suggested we all go for a walk around the red zone fence for some observational inspiration for our improv and writing.
We touched the fences, looked at boarded-up windows and even saw what looked like a highly secure hotdog cart ¾ super safe hotdogs are a priority, I guess.
But the one overwhelming thing that kept running through my head was what an enormous undertaking this event is.
I know we are all seriously talking about the cost and the relevance of the G20, but honestly, for me the sheer planning of this G20 blows my mind. I've been completely taking for granted the fact that I've been passing hundreds of cops on my way to work.
"We'll see what happens that weekend" I figured, but now that it is actually happening, it's a remarkably impressive assemblage of people and resources ¾ regardless of if we agree with it or not. It's amazing what our government can do when it has the motivation.
Related: Meet the team
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post