Overdressed for security?
- June 18, 2010 1:34 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
Police on bicycles, horseback and in riot gear will be at the ready in Toronto during the G20 summits -- and those will just be the ones you can see. (Adrien Veczan/Canadian Press)
By Dale Boyer, G20 citizen blogger
I was walking out of an upper-scale restaurant in downtown Toronto yesterday when I saw a gaggle of men - well, boys really - in blue shirts looking at us through the glass doors. One of the man-boys had a walkie-talkie and was pointing quite specifically at us.
At first I assumed it was because of our fancy dresses and remarkable shoes, but their attention toward us was more officious than flattering.
Upon walking out we asked, "Who are you guys?" They suspiciously walked away as a group and mumbled "G20" and something garbled. So we asked again... "What?" The man-boy-blueshirts replied that they were doing G20 security training and quickly shuffled en masse to get away from us.
So, if you are looking for freshly sprouted security to talk to you suspiciously and dismissively during the G20, wear a party dress.
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post