No rental bonanza
- June 20, 2010 9:00 AM |
- By G20 Street Team
Several homeowners in downtown Toronto are asking for several hundreds of dollars in daily rent for their apartments. (Pras Rajagopalan/CBC)
By Prasanna Rajagopalan, CBC News
Would-be landlords in downtown Toronto who were looking to make a killing by renting out their pads to foreign correspondents during the G20 summit appear to be sorely disappointed.
Forums like Kijiji and Craigslist are riddled with entries by people looking to rent their apartments for hundreds of dollars a day - but apparently few are successful in finding a taker.
One woman wrote to me earlier asking if I knew of any forums - aside from the usual classified sites - where incoming journalists may be looking for accommodation.
Shana Cohen, one of my colleagues at CBC Toronto, has also contacted several people trying to rent their dwellings during the summit. Only one had success - and she was interviewed by both CBCNews.ca and the Toronto Star.
As one dejected respondent put it, after news of the high-priced rentals broke, "everyone who lives anywhere in or near downtown decided to see if they could make a quick buck."
So if you're one of those looking cash in, let me try to save you some time and trouble - don't bother.
Related: Where the streets have no people
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post