It's going to be a heck of week
- June 18, 2010 11:00 AM |
- By G20 Street Team
Anti-G20 protesters - including one wearing a Stephen Harper mask and several doused in fake oil - rally outside Union Station on Thursday. (Pras Rajagopalan/CBC)
By Prasanna Rajagopalan, CBC News
Over the last two weeks we've witnessed:
The uprooting of young trees within the fenced security zone in the name of security. (Pras Rajagopalan/CBC)
The expulsion of hot dog-hawking street vendors from the fenced security zone. (Pras Rajagopalan/CBC)
The construction of a three-metre high chain link fence around a large swath of downtown. (Mark Blinch/Reuters)
We'll no doubt be treated to an array of ever more strange sights as the June 26-27 summit looms closer, and I'll be there to do my best to chronicle it.
And of course, if you're unsure about the G20-related restrictions and closures, you can refer to two lovely maps - one in 2D and the other in 3D - created by our web developer Dwight Friesen.
Related: Meet the team
Related video: G20 security zone tour
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post