G(irls) 20 Summit rumbles
- June 24, 2010 3:39 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
G(irls) 20 Summit delegates from left, Alexandra Rose Rieger and Kartika Nurhayati learn how to blog. (Jennifer Hollett/CBC)
By Jennifer Hollett, CBC News
The girls of the G(irls) 20 Summit are still in Canada, networking, attending workshops, running out of the Senate during an earthquake.
I had a chance to catch up with delegates, who come from all countries represented in the G20, before they head home this weekend. Yesterday, the young leaders met with Canada's senators in Ottawa. Tanvi Girotra from India told me that while the visitors were being officially introduced in the Senate, they heard rumbling.
Because senators tap on their desks to applaud, Tanvi thought the shaking in the chamber just meant the politicians liked what they were hearing. Nope. It was the earthquake, and the girls quickly joined senators in running outside. Tanvi said there were initial concerns it was a bomb.
Since many of the delegates to the G(irls) 20 Summit are from parts of the world where they're so used to earthquakes they sleep through them, the whole event provided a good laugh in the end, the girls said.
As the girls' summit comes to a close, and their countries' leaders gather for their own summits, the girls are full of smiles. And from what I've seen, so is everyone who has had the chance to meet them. They remind us of what's to come.
Related: 21 delegates, 21 reasons why girls matter
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post