G8/20 Summitacular Liveblog: Day One
- June 24, 2010 10:23 AM |
- By G20 Street Team
A security guard patrols the security fence erected underneath the CN Tower in Toronto. (Chris Young/Canadian Press)
By Kady O'Malley, CBC News
It's here! It's here! Okay, technically, there's still one day to go, but that's not going to stop me from liveblogging the rest of the countdown on location -- or, in this case, locations, plural.
I've already done a quick tour of the media centre -- yes, including the lake, which really is pretty, although definitely a bit smaller than expected -- but I'll be heading back there later this morning to see what it's like when it isn't cavernously empty of anyone other than me, a handful of bemused delegates, and hundreds of colour-coordinated baseball cap-wearing security guards jogging through the halls. I also plan on spending a good bit of time outside the wire, as it were, so stay tuned -- and check back here for updates throughout the day.
You can also follow the entire CBC G8/20 crew via the magic of twitter -- which, depending on whether the cell coverage goes wonky as the hour draws near, may eventually be the most reliable way of filing dispatches from the streets, although let's cross our fingers that the berryvine doesn't go down under the strain, shall we?
Mobile friendly text-feed available here.
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post