G8 closes as Huntsville, Ont., expresses relief
- June 26, 2010 1:46 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
G-8 leaders attend a working session at the G-8 Summit at the Deerhurst Resort on Saturday. (Francis Vachon/G-8/G-20 Host Photo/Canadian Press)
By CBC News
Huntsville residents are breathing a sigh of relief as the G8 summit wraps up, after two years spent preparing and bracing for major protests.
"I know people really expected a lot more. It never really came and it's probably for the best," resident Randy Pielsticker told CBC News on Saturday.
"Many left town. I decided to stay to see what I could see," Pielsticker said.
But Pielsticker and other residents are a little disappointed.
Not one world leader visited the town or set foot outside the heavily fortified Deerhurst Resort east of town during the 24-hour summit, with the exception of Russian Prime Minister Dimitri Medvedev, who dined at a restaurant on the main street on Thursday night.
The closest glimpse any residents got of the visiting dignitaries were of helicopters flying overhead and then touching down at the summit site.
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post