What a difference a day makes
- June 22, 2010 9:33 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
A security camera peers down outside the Metro Convention Centre in Toronto on Tuesday where world leaders are due to meet for the G20 summit. (Chris Young/Canadian Press)
By Kim Fox, CBC News
Monday left me feeling like I had moved to a different country.
My commute had never before involved checkpoints, or seeing people whip out their ID just to get to work, bags being checked or throngs of police milling about - this wasn't the Toronto I know.
After yesterday's culture shock - today seemed strangely quiet in comparison.
I left my apartment - Blackberry in hand - declaring by tweet that I'd document what I expected to be the escalating chaos around me.
Waiting on the subway platform, I imagined long, snaking lineups, raging commuters, police officers in riot gear, sirens and helicopters overhead - in short, I pictured myself starring in every doomsday movie I watched as a kid.
Instead, my checkpoint was relatively free and clear. Sure, police stood within a few metres, but compared with the day before it was a breeze.
As we're only a few days away from the summit, we'll see what tomorrow brings, but for now, here's our daily G20 story round up from CBC News:
Protests continue in Toronto as G20 nears
G20 police probe reports of gunfire
Cut deficits or stimulate more, the G20 dividing line
Related: Meet the team
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post