G20 summit: What's the biggest issue?
- June 25, 2010 10:25 AM |
- By G20 Street Team
A protest banner hung by Oxfam activists is displayed in Huntsville, Ontario ahead of the G8. A variety of groups are championing their causes leading up the G8 and G20 summits. (Graham Hughes/Canadian Press)
By Your Voice Team, CBC News
While the issue of maternal health seems to be getting the most attention in Canada, other nations have different priorities for the G8/G20 summit.
CBC reporter Lianne Elliott spoke with a few foreign reporters at the international media centre this week and found that they all had a different view of what will matter most at the talks.
For Italian reporter Serena Dironza, the deficit is the biggest issue. Malawian reporter Mac Neil Kalowekamo said that his country's biggest concern is food safety. Ashwini Prabha from Fiji singled out climate change as the most important topic, while Turkish reporter Orhan Sali said that ending sanctions against Iran and Gaza is his country's top priority.
What do you think is the most important issue at the G8/G20 summit? What should be the focus of the world leaders when they gather this weekend?
(This poll is not scientific. It is based on readers' votes.)
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post