Community contribution: Photos from the downtown core
- June 22, 2010 3:59 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
Helicopters flying through downtown Toronto. (Julie Wildman)
By Julie Wildman, G20 citizen contributor
For me, preparations for the G20 include my company's downtown office relocating our entire team to other GTA offices or working from home. This has led to both my husband and me working in our condo across the street from the Rogers Centre this week.
We've been observing the construction of the infamous fence since it started in early June as part of our daily walk to work in the financial district, and during our first two days at our home office we've been able to witness some of the detailed preparations taking place for the upcoming summit.
Police on bicycles patrol the downtown core. (Julie Wildman)
Security caravans. (Julie Wildman)
We've seen everything from roving packs of bike-riding police (in one we counted up to 20 officers), military helicopters performing low-flying manoeuvres and rushing by our windows (complete with armed soldiers sitting in the doorways), rows of minivans piled full of officers and their gear (getting ready for what, we're not sure), and the generally overwhelming number of police that are patrolling this area and fence.
Top: Extra boats at the downtown fire station. Centre: Police on horseback near Union Station. Bottom: A low-flying security helicopter. (Julie Wildman)
With all the excitement I couldn't resist snapping a few pictures of the action happening 15 floors below. We're looking forward to keeping an eye outside for what comes next this week; it's certainly more entertaining than the usual workday view I have from my office tower!
What are you seeing in your neighbourhood? Upload your G20 photos here, add them to our Flickr group or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post