- June 20, 2010 10:23 AM |
- By G20 Street Team
By Jennifer Hollett, CBC News
A quick Google search for the G20 brings up protest videos and an ad for the Stratford Festival. Hidden underneath these results is a link to the offical G20 Toronto website - g20.gc.ca
While wandering through the typical government site, I discovered a few tidbits:
The back-to-back G8 and G20 Summits are history making for Canada. No other country has ever held two global events of this scale together.
The CN Tower will feature a G20 light show from Tuesday, June 22 to Sunday, June 27, with the national flags of the G20 countries.
Local businesses can apply for compensation due to lost business during the summit. "Although the Government is not legally bound to pay compensation for losses suffered as a result of international meetings held in Canada there are precedents where compensation has been provided to those impacted by security measures of previous international summits."
MY SUMMIT 2010 is the official international youth summit held alongside the G8 and the G20.
The summit is aiming to be carbon neutral.
The G20 is also officially on Twitter @canadaIntl and flickr And Canada's official G8 website is g8.gc.ca While these official outlets tend to be flat and lackluster compared to other offerings online, it's always worth keeping an eye on the space to see what there's, and more importantly what's not.
Related: Meet the team
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post