G20: Looking back
- June 28, 2010 1:55 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
A protester flashes a peace sign during a demonstration on Sunday, June 27, 2010. It was just one of the many scenes witnessed in downtown Toronto during the G20 summit. (Submitted by Jackman Chiu via Flickr)
By Dale Boyer, G20 citizen blogger
As I look back at my first blog post about the three things I thought would be disrupted, two predictions came true.
My beautiful city was cut up and I had to zigzag my way through the streets to avoid police lines and potential violence. My comfortable lifestyle became uneasy, I was unnerved and upset ... even my quirky and humorous outlook on the summit was tested while I witnessed first-hand what it feels like not be trusted while I walked down Toronto streets I frequent every day.
My feelings are still reconciling themselves as more and more stories are revealed and I fold those tales into my own personal experiences.
As for the third thing I thought would be disrupted? My cellphone worked and wasn't jammed within the area this whole weekend ... well, I guess that's something.
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post