G20 field reports: Amber Hildebrandt
- June 26, 2010 3:14 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
By Amber Hildebrandt, CBC News
CBC's Amber Hildebrandt is on the the streets of Toronto and will be filing hourly updates during the G20 summit. Here's the latest.
"This is what a police state looks like," marchers chant at the multiple lines of police in riot gear on Spadina.
The road is packed with marchers who diverted from the planned route back to Queens Park, following behind the black Bloc.
Media are congregated in the median, straining to see both sides of the action.
The drumming band Rhythms of Resistance, a staple of many of this week's protests, are in the middle, setting the tone.
White smoke is rising behind us. There are calls for people to don their lemon juice or vinegar soaked kerchiefs, intended to protect against tear gas. In front, the rows of riot police and mounted police.
One child sits atop a man's shoulders in the thick of it all.
Amber is reporting from @CBCReporters
Related: G20 field reports: Amber Hildebrandt
Related: Protests at Queen's Park
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post