G20 field reports: Amber Hildebrandt
- June 26, 2010 4:40 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
A Starbucks on Queen Street, near Beverly. (Kady O'Malley/CBC)
By Amber Hildebrandt, CBC News
CBC's Amber Hildebrandt is on the the streets of Toronto and will be filing hourly updates during the G20 summit. Here's the latest.
Walking down Queen Street, you can't help but notice what has become protest tourist points.
At Queen and John, person after person pose in front of the police lined up in riot gear. Across the street, a Starbucks with its windows smashed in is constantly circled with snapping cameras. CNN is among them, but also other media -- and the protesters, too.
A bit west, two mailboxes tipped on their sides and strategically placed to interrupt traffic also attract attention. One man marches up and drops his pamphlet in one.
Farther west, crowds of protesters encircle a circle of police standing around a cruiser with its windshield and rear window smashed.
And now we continue east. Stay tuned.
Amber is reporting from @CBCreporters
RELATED: Smashed police car
RELATED: Police standoff on Spadina
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post