Eating through the G20
- June 23, 2010 9:09 AM |
- By G20 Street Team
By Amber Hildebrandt, CBC News
"A lot of things are revealed over food," says Ron Wood.
The OCAD University professor is intrigued by what world leaders will be chatting about when they gather for the G20 Summit in Toronto this weekend. And he's even more intrigued by what a culture's food says about its economic situation.
To that end, he decided to take this week off work and blog his way through meals representing the major economies who are part of the Group of 20, which includes 19 countries and the European Union.
Each blog entry contains a lesson learned - or an idea worth pondering - when the leaders congregate for their semi-annual meeting. He thought the blog would be a nice, lighthearted counter to all the serious news coming out of the G20.
CBC photo editor, Timothy Neesam, and I joined Ron and his wife, Annie, for a meal of tamales and fried tacos at the bustling Kensington restaurant, Latin America Emporium.
After that excursion, Wood mused on his blog about the recent overturning of Mexico's ban on GMO corn:
Tamales and other corn-based products aren't on the G20 agenda, but maybe they should be. Up until this year, GMO corn seed was prohibited in Mexico, which is the birthplace of corn and where more than 55 native varieties are grown. The economic downturn changed that.
Read the story: G20 countries, 1 meal at a time
What do you think a country's food says about its culture and economy? Tell us what lessons the G20 could learn from a feast on a variety of countries' staples. Here's a list of the G20 countries.
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post