G20: An amazing thing happens at the theatre
- June 27, 2010 9:23 AM |
- By G20 Street Team
A protester crawls as he gets away from police officers during G20 demos in Toronto on Saturday, June 26, 2010. (Adrien Veczan/Canadian Press)
By Dale Boyer, G20 citizen blogger
As if! Where do I start? What a day. Apart from warnings from every news outlet telling me not to go downtown... I did. I went to work. I went and did two shows at The Second City, which is so close to the action you could smell the burning police cars.
I gave myself hours to get there, since subways were closed I ended up having to get a ride from family, which sounded something like this "Hey, do you mind driving me into what the news is calling a riot?"... They did. I got to the theatre to find all my buds there with amazing stories of how they got to the theatre.
I wondered if people would come to this show. Well guess what? People did, people came! The braved the streets, crossed the lines of cops with tickets to the show, presented their ID to anyone who asked and plopped their butts in a theatre to watch some comedy.
Something cool happened in that theatre tonight, too. It was cool and unusual and we all had an "amazing shared experience" despite everyone telling us not to.
Related: Meet the team
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post