Empty streets downtown
- June 25, 2010 9:38 AM |
- By G20 Street Team
A reporter stands in the middle of an oddly deserted Adelaide Street. (Scott Sutherland)
By Scott Sutherland, G20 citizen blogger
Normally Thursdays are very busy around Crocodile Rock; we get the after-work crowd in starting around 5 p.m. There are usually about 300 people here from 5-8 p.m. The rooftop patio is always full and there is a wait to get up there.
Yesterday our house count at 6 p.m. was 14 people. Apparently nobody worked and even our regulars were absent. Traffic on Adelaide Street W. is usually stop-and-go at this time. I was able to grab a photo of a woman doing her newscast from the middle of Adelaide Street at 6 p.m. Sorry for the quality, but BlackBerrys have terrible cameras.
Walking into work, it seemed like not much has changed over the week, except for the lack of people and traffic. I guess all the predictions about getting around the city were wrong - so far. Our staff has been arriving early and our delivery drivers are saying that they have not yet had any problems, and it is actually much easier to get around.
The Entertainment District is deserted.
Related: Meet the team
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post