Bright light, big mystery
- June 24, 2010 9:09 AM |
- By G20 Street Team
By Carmen Millet, G20 citizen blogger
If you've spent any time the G20 security zone in the last 36 hours, you've probably spotted these balloon-like devices atop the G20 fence. They looked really interesting to me, so I tried to figure out what they were: maybe some kind of communication device? A contraption that would pop and make an insanely loud noise so as to disperse boisterous crowds?
A stealthily hidden camera that would take clandestine photos of errant protesters? Some kind of homing device? Surely it was something covert and secretive that the public absolutely couldn't know about, right?
I walked along Wellington Street wondering what these balloons were for and decided that I should just ask. So I did. A crowd of Toronto police officers happened to be standing nearby, and, probably because I didn't yet have on my protester balaclava, they told me. Any guesses what the mysterious devices are?
Temporary street lights.
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post