17 hours in detention
- June 27, 2010 6:22 PM |
- By G20 Street Team
Hendrik Bruyn says he spent the last 17 hours in the detention centre at the former Toronto Film Studios. (Timothy Neesam/CBC)
By Amber Hildebrandt, CBC News
Hendrik Bruyn, 23, of Toronto has had a "pretty dreadful day."
"I'm really glad it's over," he said as he reached into his plastic bag of possessions to grab a cigarette.
Bruyn says he spent the last 17 hours in the detention centre at the former Toronto Film Studios, located in the city's east end.
Inside he was kept in a seven-by-five foot cell with five other men and fed what was described as a "vegan cheese sandwich" for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
With no washroom in the cell, he had to go to the bathroom in a port-a-potty in another cell facing a women's cell - uncomfortable for them both, he remarked.
Bruyn said he was protesting among 100 or 200 others on the Esplanade when he was arrested with a dozen or so others.
He says he was just "walking around the downtown core" and decided to join the protesters in a sit-in when the group got boxed in.
As for how he's getting home, he says he's not sure.
Nevertheless, "I'm tired but I'm happy to be outside," he said as he puffed on the cigarette.
Related: G20 field reports: Amber Hildebrandt
Related: Police force protesters back
About the Blog
CBC News Your Voice has assembled a team of citizen bloggers and CBC staff to bring you a street level view of Toronto during the global conference. From residents who live inside the security perimeter to business owners and students eager to share their perspectives, the G20: Street Level team will provide you with a 360-degree view of the summit's impact.
All News blogs
G20: Street Level
- G20 Street Level: A look back
- Police encircle and detain a crowd of protesters during the G20 summit in Toronto, on Sunday June 27, 2010. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) By Kim Fox, CBC NewsAs police erected barriers, world leaders descended on Toronto, and protesters prepared to capture... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our reporters
- Reporters sit next to the fake lake at the G20 media centre in Toronto. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)Leading up to and during the G20 summit in Toronto, CBC News' Street Level blog brought readers extensive reports from around the city. Our... Continue reading this post
- G20: Highlights from our citizen bloggers
- A man stands in front of the security fence outside Union Station in Toronto on Monday, June 28 as city life returns to normal following the weekend's G20 demonstrations. (Chris Young/Canadian Press) Leading up to and during the G20 summit... Continue reading this post