CBC British Columbia
Your Story

Your View on the Olympics

Story Tools: EMAIL | PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK | Bookmark and Share

Are you planning to volunteer? Why or why not?

Anyone hoping to volunteer at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver had better get to work polishing up their resume.

The online search for 25,000 volunteers began Tuesday, exactly two years from the opening of the Games, and applicants now have only six weeks to get their applications in.

The applications are already rolling in — from across Canada and around the world, including Australia, Russia, and Europe — Vancouver Organizing Committee CEO John Furlong told CBC News Tuesday morning.

Are you interested in being a volunteer at the Olympics? Why or why not?

Do you have an experience volunteering at past Olympic games?

« Previous Post | Main | Next Post »

This entry is now Open. Submit your comment.

Comments: (35)

scott johnson (eastern_canada) wrote:

I know i woudnt work for the olympics even if i was making $$$$!!!!!even if i had free hotel,air,food,etc!!!!!!!!!!!WHY???????????BECAUSE I VISITED VANCOUVER AND THAT CITY IS NOTHING BUT A SCARY RUNDOWN VICTORIAN CESSPOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VANCOUVER IN THE LAST 7EARS ISNT A CITY ON A REGULAR CANADIANS CHOICE OF CITIES TO VISIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!COMON PPL VANCOUVER IS KNOWN TO BE NOT SOO MUCH OF A NICE PLACE ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted February 27, 2008 02:20 PM

Tim (Vancouver) wrote:

Actually Steve, I'll be leaving Vancouver before the games. But feel free to volunteer in the downtown eastside. That's where the real help is needed.

Posted February 20, 2008 05:49 PM

steve (vancouver) wrote:

definitely! i think it'll be a fun and rewarding experience, both personally and career-wise. so i'm volunteering for me.

as for the rest of you cynical and pessimistic folk -- you don't have to volunteer for the olympics if you don't support the olympics. but like it or not, the olympics are coming to vancouver. rather than complain about it, why not provide support to the community in other ways?

Posted February 18, 2008 02:01 PM

MLC (Prince_George_BC) wrote:

Geez, no, I don't think so...couldn't get paid leave like a gov't employee...but how about I volunteer my middle finger to this snob soiree?

Posted February 17, 2008 05:13 PM

Joanne Davey (windsor_ontario) wrote:

I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT HOW YOU GO ABOUT VOLUNTEERING FOR THE 2010 OLYMPICS.IF YOU WOULD BE SO KIND AS TO INFORM ME OF HOW TO DO THIS ON LINE I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.THANK YOU.

Posted February 16, 2008 11:04 AM

Mark (Abbotsford) wrote:

Nope, not me. Honestly, I'm just to lazy.

Posted February 16, 2008 01:42 AM

Bob H (Coquitlam) wrote:

I think not. This farce is costing me enough as it is, and I will be damned if I would commit my time also. The whole thing is one big expensive political joke.

Posted February 15, 2008 11:17 AM

Tim (Vancouver) wrote:

No, I will not volunteer for the Olympics. Large corporations, media conglomerates and developers will make a killing at the expense of the poor, the homeless, the taxpayers,... almost everyone in Vancouver will suffer so that the world can be envious of the Emerald City. I'm willing to bet that by two years hence, the world will be in such dire crisis with the environment, energy and food shortages, disease, death and mass suffering that the 2010 Olympics may well be one of the last hurrahs of a dying global community. And all of Vancouver will be ashamed of our extravagance.

Posted February 14, 2008 02:30 PM

Steves (TERRACEbc) wrote:

Looking for a place to escape the Games? C'mon out to the rest of the Province. This is where the money to host this waste of time comes from and no benefit will be seen as a return on our "investment"

I'm sure it'll be nice, quiet and calm aound here during the
Ego-lympics. just the sound of the working minions trying to stay even while being taxed up every orifice.

Posted February 14, 2008 10:54 AM

Steven (Vancouver) wrote:

I only wish that 25,000+ people would so readily and willingly volunteer to help with the marginalized populations in our community.

Posted February 13, 2008 12:03 PM

B (Vancouver) wrote:

Why not have the homeless volunteer? That way everyone who wanted the Olympics can see the price that had to be paid.

Posted February 13, 2008 12:03 PM

Matt (vancouver) wrote:

Volunteer for the games? Hah... The only volunteer work I'll be doing will be to prominently protest this disgusting media circus for all to see. I have a feeling they will find themselves a little short on willing volunteers from vancouver.

Posted February 13, 2008 11:43 AM

Peter Kieser (Coquitlam_British_Columbia) wrote:

My tax dollars are being spent on the Olympics (on the basis of a referendum which was only conducted in Vancouver), why would I want shell out more of my time & money for such an event?

I'd rather volunteer my time to a homeless shelter, many of which will be become even more overcrowded as a direct result of the games.

Posted February 13, 2008 11:37 AM

Sam (Delta) wrote:

I hope to be far away while the rich and famous flaunt their wealth and my country. I am so ashamed to have this wonderful province sold to the highest bidder. I will volunteer when everyone does the same from the fat cats renting out condos to the executives taking my tax dollars for a new highway to Whistler.

Posted February 13, 2008 09:35 AM

J Andersen (Westside_BC) wrote:

I could not care less about the olympics. I never have, and I never will.

Posted February 13, 2008 06:34 AM

Steve (Whistler_BC) wrote:

I'm curious to know where they plan on accommodating these volunteers. Even though we're still 2 years away, rental vacancies here in Whistler are almost non existent, with hundreds of seasonal workers spending the season on floors, couches, or RVs. People who do have a place to live right now are being told they'll be out on the street to make way for media organizations and VIPs with cash to spend during The Olympics.

Anyone sticking around who isn't fortunate enough to own their own home will be paying a lot more rent, and won't be able to afford to volunteer.

Not that anyone who actually lives here wants anything to do with the Olympics anyways. Most Whistler locals will be very glad when this is all over.

Posted February 13, 2008 12:07 AM

Helen (Vancouver) wrote:

No, no, no. I'm leaving the city for the games.

Posted February 12, 2008 09:57 PM

Pete (Vancouver) wrote:

Absolutely not. Despite their proclamations otherwise the olympic games are for profit enterprise. That profit is mostly made by hiring unpaid labour with implied promises of free jackets and other stuff. Still they have done a very good job of promoting themselves and their product so that there will be no shortage of people who would never volunteer for local community or charity but will gladly take a holiday to volunteer for the olympics. Go figure.

Posted February 12, 2008 09:14 PM

D. Gallas (Vancouver_Island) wrote:

Volunteer for the Olympics?
Buckets of our tax money have already gone there, meanwhile:
There are a record number of homeless people; perhaps there are organizations that advocate for the homeless that could use some help? B.C. has the highest rate of child poverty in Canada; perhaps something should be done about that first?
I’m sure many people would love to volunteer their time for the Olympics as well, but they are exhausted from working to pay for over-priced housing and trying to feed their children. The Roman circus distraction that is called the Olympics hasn’t done anything for me, and it seems to have only made things worse for many other people. How about getting our government to invest our money in healthcare, education, public transportation and our environment first please, and leave the entertainment and frills for when the important things are already done? Work first, play later; or play now and pay forever…

Posted February 12, 2008 08:11 PM

Dwight Ford () wrote:

I would love to volunteer at these or any other olympics. I think as a Canadian especially one that is hosting these Olympics. We should be there to encourage our athlete's and to support the rest of the world as they take in the biggest athletic competion that only comes around every four year. So yes I would volunteer just give me a call and I would be there with bells on.

Posted February 12, 2008 07:23 PM

Bill () wrote:

Sydney volunteers, many civil servants volunteered by the provincial
and federal governments, went for one day, got their uniform and
sold it on EBay, and scampered off.
Only one-third of the volunteers stayed more than a week.

It's a farce.
There will be an armed camp, internal fences and the infernal black
helicopters over everything.

Not to mention daily protests and marches.

The only good thing will be the continuing fascination
of the media in the alternative Carneigie mascots who will
get their own show and higher ratings than figure skating.

Schools will be closed, so parents will stay home or take
the kids out of town. It will be a ghost town, a Potemkin
village for the benefit of a few TV cameras who venture beyond the
security wall.

Send it back to Lillehammer. They'll still have snow in 2010.

Posted February 12, 2008 05:29 PM

Kate (Burnaby) wrote:

I'd rather not volunteer for the Olympics. Isn't it outrageous that people have to jump through so many hoops--long application forms, interviews, ref checks--just for a volunteer position. Even then, I heard that only the "creme de la creme" of applicants will be chosen for a volunteer position.

Posted February 12, 2008 04:06 PM

Greg (Victoria) wrote:

Funny... I'm thinking of getting out of Dodge until the chaos is done!

Posted February 12, 2008 03:40 PM

Paul (Victoria) wrote:

Yes, I will volunteer. I don't care what's said about "rich", "fat cats", VANOC or others - I will volunteer for ME. I am the one who will ultimately benefit. Once the Olympics are over, VANOC will cease to exist, the rich fat cats will move on to supplying people with light bulbs, cooking grease, snow tires, Arbutus Club carpets or whatever else makes them some more money. I will continue to have the pleasurable memories and self-satisfaction of having volunteered (if I'm offered a position).
I think far too often we take cynical views of things and people and ultimately deprive ourselves of an 'experience'. the Olympics are coming here; either enjoy them and participate or don't, the choice is entirely yours.
I've made my choice and won't berate you in the least for yours.

Posted February 12, 2008 03:32 PM

Andrew (RichmondBC) wrote:

Let's see... as it is members of VANOC are being paid very very well on our tax dollars, and now they also want us to give them our TIME?

I think not. As it is they're talking about severely restricting travel for the people who live and have to work in this city during the games, so how exactly are we supposed to get where we're volunteering?

Posted February 12, 2008 03:27 PM

Russ (Abbotsford) wrote:

Aren't the Olympics supposed to be a source of income for the locals? If they benefit anyone, shouldn't they benefit the residents of BC and Canada? VANOC has such a massive budget, why can't they offer pay to people who provide their services?

Further... what happens if the volunteers decide to stop working at some point? People being compensated for their time and skill would be far less likely to throw in the towel once they start having to deal with people who may be less than pleasant to help!

Posted February 12, 2008 03:24 PM

Irving Schwartz (Vancouver) wrote:

Depends. Are the VANOC executives volunteering THEIR time? If not, then I'd be happy to take on a paid position.

Posted February 12, 2008 02:17 PM

Mark (Vancouver) wrote:

You gotta remember that this is the olympics. Itself is a highly respected organization, no matter what you say about them, at the end of the day it's about the sport. So a month of volunteering for them is something you'll probably never get to do again, and it looks damn good on an resume, the fact that you gave up a month of time to an organization like this.

Posted February 12, 2008 02:08 PM

Laura Halliday (Burnaby_BC) wrote:

I plan to be as far away from Vancouver as possible during February 2010. Either an extended road trip to Central America, or go hide in Australia somewhere.

What do VANOC need volunteers for anyway? What are they spending all the gigabucks on?

Posted February 12, 2008 02:01 PM

Jane (Vancouver) wrote:

No. I will be volunteering my time in my local community working to solve poverty and health issues, rather than slaving for free to make a few Vancouver fat-cats even fatter.

Posted February 12, 2008 02:00 PM

MIR (East_Van) wrote:

Yah, please let me volunteer my time to make more some money for rich corporations.

Posted February 12, 2008 01:57 PM

squib (vancouver) wrote:

nice to know that the Olympics are bringing all that wealth to our fair city, only to have to hire 25,000 people whom they will pay nothing. Pity Vancouver is but a backdrop and free labour pool to Vanoc - I have yet to see any benefit to the city as a result of this farcical furor.

Posted February 12, 2008 01:40 PM

William Stewart (Victoria_BC) wrote:

There needs to be some clarification as the FAQ answers are vague RE: availablility. As one who has years of successful volunteer experience, the Olympics are going to be basically voluntarily manned by people who reside outside of the lower mainland (most wouldn't don't know the local hotspot scenes). Surely, the Olympics will be wanting some kids involved in the volunteering or are they eligible even-though they are a student??
I believe this policy should be revisited to ensure flexibilities for the locals who have a vast knowledge of information. I'm not sure if the 'correct' information will be given if the venues are manned by a volunteer who is from another country (who may not know the lower mainland like a hole in the ground).

Posted February 12, 2008 12:17 PM

John (Vancouver) wrote:

Ya they were down at UBC today handing out the e-mail address for it. I definitely want to volunteer but it looks competitive, and a big time commitment. If I can't do the big commitment spots then I’m sure there will be something part-time that will come available later. I definitely want to be part of the event if I can.

Posted February 12, 2008 12:08 PM

Torri (Vancouver) wrote:

I was planning on volunteering until I read the FAQ on the VANOC website. It seems you have to be available for the entire games. That rules out a lot of people who work. I was prepared to take a week of holiday time but not two. Clearly VANOC is not interested in the average Vancouverite volunteering.

Posted February 12, 2008 11:32 AM