B.C. Votes News Archives
Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.
- Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
- Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
- Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
- Visit our site map page
In a few moments, you will be taken to our site map page, which will help you find what you looking for.
|Party||Elected||Leading||Total||Vote Share (%)|
|Updated: May. 13, 2009, 1:16 AM PDT|
Choose a format to view results for all ridings and parties:
All results are unofficial until final ballot counts are verified by Elections B.C.
STV referendum overall results
Question: Which electoral system should British Columbia use to elect members to the provinical Legislative Assembly?
- The existing system (First-Past-the-Post)
- The single transferable vote electorial system (BC-STV) proposed by the Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform
Electoral District Vote
Updated: May. 13, 2009, 1:16 AM PDT
85/85 ridings reporting
Total Popular Vote
560,430 votes | 38.82%
883,259 votes | 61.18%
Updated: May. 13, 2009, 1:16 AM PDT
What it needs to win:
For the referendum to be binding, the approval level must be:
- more than 50% of the votes in at least 51 of the province's 85 electoral districts, AND
- at least 60% of the total popular vote, province-wide.
If the two thresholds are met, government is required to introduce legislation to implement BC-STV in sufficient time for it to be in place for the May 2013 General Election.
My Riding & Riding Talk
Have your say about what's important in your own riding. Read profiles about your candidates, get riding-related information and join the debate.
- New Snow falling in Metro Vancouver and South Coast
- A much-anticipated snowstorm has arrived in Metro Vancouver and the rest of B.C.'s South Coast.
- Feature Growing opportunity: Colombian fruit firm looks beyond war with some help from Canada
- For Lucero Martinez and dozens of other women who've been victimized by Colombia's half-century-long guerrilla war, the production line at Fruandes has become a place of second chances — thanks in part to Canadian investment and appetites.
- The second Metro Vancouver snowstorm: what you need to know
- Wondering how Friday's expected snowstorm might affect you? Here's a quick primer.
- 19 Wing Comox lands Search and Rescue training centre
- Communities in the Comox Valley are celebrating plans to build a new training centre for Royal Canadian Air Force search and rescue pilots in Comox, B.C.
- Port Moody students give back on Downtown Eastside audio
- Students from Heritage Woods Secondary School in Port Moody spent Thursday afternoon at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park to try and spread some cheer.
- Cruise ships named in U.S. pollution case have stopped in Victoria audio
- Cruise ship industry expert Ross Klein says the guilty plea by Princess Cruise Lines to deliberate vessel pollution at sea will tarnish the industry's image.
- Metro Vancouver homelessness needs regional approach, says mayor audio
- Metro Vancouver is hoping a new regional task force on homelessness will help cities better grapple with the issue.
- Man paralyzed in hatchet attack sues province for failing to keep up with care costs
- A man paralyzed as a teenager after being attacked with a hatchet is suing the province of B.C., alleging that the province's payments for his care are not keeping up with increasing costs.
- Motherless bear cub caught by neighbours, sent to sanctuary audio
- Lots of bears were destroyed by conservation officers this year, including 27 in Revelstoke alone. But one bear cub in the town escaped that fate thanks to the efforts of some of the town's residents.
- Christmas tree too expensive? Blame hazelnuts
- Christmas tree prices are up $10 to $25 this year and tree farmers blame a shortage in the U.S., land prices and the exchange rate for the rising cost.