Suzanne by Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette, trans. by Rhonda Mullins, makes Best Translated Book Award longlist
Suzanne by Quebec actress and writer Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette, translated from French to English by Rhonda Mullins, is the sole Canadian book represented on this year's Best Translated Book Award longlist.
The annual prize honours the best translated books of fiction and poetry from around the world. The winning writers and translators each receive $5,000 U.S. (approx. $6,388.00 Cdn).
Suzanne, which was featured on the Canada Reads 2016 longlist, follows a French-Canadian woman over 85 years, travelling across oceans, lovers, addictions and breakdowns. The book is inspired by Barbeau-Lavalette's investigation into the life of her grandmother, an artist she never knew.
The shortlist will be announced on The Millions website on May 15, followed by the winners on May 31.
The other books on the fiction longlist are:
- Incest by Christine Angot (France), translated by Tess Lewis
- Tómas Jónsson, Bestseller by Guðbergur Bergsson (Iceland), translated by Lytton Smith
- Compass by Mathias Énard (France), translated by Charlotte Mandell
- Bergeners by Tomas Espedal (Norway), translated by James Anderson
- The Invented Part by Rodrigo Fresán (Argentina), translated by Will Vanderhyden
- Return to the Dark Valley by Santiago Gamboa (Colombia), translated by Howard Curtis
- Affections by Rodrigo Hasbún (Bolivia), translated by Sophie Hughes
- Old Rendering Plant by Wolfgang Hilbig (Germany), translated by Isabel Fargo Cole
- I Am the Brother of XX by Fleur Jaeggy (Switzerland), translated by Gini Alhadeff
- You Should Have Left by Daniel Kehlmann (Germany), translated by Ross Benjamin
- Chasing the King of Hearts by Hanna Krall (Poland), translated by Philip Boehm
- Beyond the Rice Fields by Naivo (Madagascar), translated by Allison M. Charette
- My Heart Hemmed In by Marie NDiaye (France), translated by Jordan Stump
- Savage Theories by Pola Oloixarac (Argentina), translated by Roy Kesey
- August by Romina Paula (Argentina), translated by Jennifer Croft
- The Magician of Vienna by Sergio Pitol (Mexico), translated by George Henson
- The Iliac Crest by Cristina Rivera Garza (Mexico), translated by Sarah Booker
- Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin (Argentina), translated by Megan McDowell
- Ghachar Ghochar by Vivek Shanbhag (India), translated by Srinath Perur
- For Isabel: A Mandala by Antonio Tabucchi (Italy), by Elizabeth Harris
- Ebola '76 by Amir Tag Elsir (Sudan), translated by Charis Bredin
- The Last Bell by Johannes Urzidil (Germany), translated by David Burnett
- Radiant Terminus by Antoine Volodine (France), translated by Jeffrey Zuckerman
- Remains of Life by Wu He (Taiwan), translated by Michael Berry