Myrna Dey's novel Extensions (author pictured above) was voted the Readers' Choice last year. Which author will take it this year?
Attention CanLit fans! We have an announcement about this year's Scotiabank Giller Prize Readers' Choice 2012.
To give you a little more time to explore all the wonderful, diverse Canadian literature of the past year, we're extending the deadline for nominations until Monday, August 20 at 11:59 p.m. ET. Thanks to everyone who has submitted a nomination so far! If you haven't yet, there's more time to enter for a chance to win great prizes including Chapters-Indigo gift cards, Kobo eReaders, sets of the longlist books and a Samsung Galaxy tablet.
Remember to check back later in August when we reveal the Readers' Choice Top 10, based on your nominations. You'll then be able to vote on which book will win this year's Readers' Choice Award! Note: The Readers' Choice will not be added to the official longlist unless the jury has included it.
In the meantime, you can see below the leading 12 books based on the nominations we've received so far. We'll check back soon to see if these positions change!
1. The Beggar's Opera by Peggy Blair (11 per cent of total nominations)
2. Giant by Aga Maksimowska (7 per cent)
3. The Good Doctor by Vince Agro (6.3 per cent)
4. A Certain Grace by Binnie Brennan (6.1 per cent)
5. The Girl In The Box by Sheila Dalton (4.8 per cent)
6. Daughters Who Walk This Path by Yejide Kilanko (4.2 per cent)
7. Above All Things by Tanis Rideout (3 per cent)
8. The Love Monster by Missy Marston (2 per cent)
9. A Matter of Life And Death Or Something by Ben Stephenson (1.8 per cent) *
9. Forgotten by Catherine McKenzie (1.8 per cent) *
11. Gethsemane Hall by David Annandale (1.6 per cent)
12. The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay (1.4 per cent) **
12. Triggers by Robert J. Sawyer (1.4 per cent) **
* tied for 9th** tied for 12th