Winter Tales - Rules and Regs
Participants are invited to enter online challenges run by Canada Writes. The theme of each challenge will be announced when the challenge is launched. Each challenge is independent.
Once a challenge is launched, participants must submit their work with the specified dates. All submissions must respect the challenge's theme and word limits. All work must be original and unpublished.
The True Winter Tales challenge opens on Wednesday, November 2 at noon ET. and closes at 11:59 pm E.T. on Sunday, November 20.
If a participant is considered a minor in his/her province, they must have a parent or guardian email a letter of consent to email@example.com.
Participants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. Directors, officers and employees of CBC/Radio-Canada as well as their immediate family (father-mother, brother-sister, son-daughter) and persons living under the same roof are not eligible to enter the game.
All submissions must be original and not infringe copyright or the rights of any other party, individual or otherwise, including but not limited to any person, group, entity, or company.
Each participant in our online challenges shall agree to have his/her name, photo and submission used for publication and distribution across CBC Radio and its websites, free of charge.
By entering the contest, each participant grants CBC/Radio-Canada the following licenses:
• The right to translate the submitted text
• The right to publish or broadcast on all of its platforms, in its original language or in translation, the submitted text and images, audio or video files, animations, or drawings submitted to the competition. The entries may be read and aired on CBC Radio One in whole or in part, or online, on any websites or platforms related to the CBC, without any compensation being payable to the participant.
Evaluation / Prizes
Winners will be chosen by the CBC Literary Prizes team and/or external collaborators and judges based on subject originality and style. There will be one winner per challenge, unless otherwise specified. Each winner will receive the prize(s) offered for the challenge as well as their story or material (when applicable) published on cbc.ca. Honourable mentions may receive publication on cbc.ca. The names of the winners will be revealed on specified dates for each challenge. CBC may change these dates.
CBC Radio or their external partners may also select a submission for publication or broadcast as a "Pick of the Day". The names of the winners will be announced on the dates specified for each challenge. CBC Radio reserves the rights to change these dates at any time.
Each prize shall be accepted as is and may not be exchanged for an amount of money, nor sold nor transferred. No substitutions will be allowed. If a prize cannot be awarded as described in these rules, CBC reserves the right to substitute a prize or prize component with another of comparable value. Refusal to accept a prize releases CBC, its directors, officers and employees, of any responsibility and obligation toward the winners.
CBC, its directors, officers and employees, shall assume no liability resulting from losses, delays, mistaken addresses on mail or e-mail received, typographical errors, technical, computer or telephone malfunctions, loss or theft of computer or telephone data, damage to software or computer equipment, fraudulent calls or any other mistake. CBC, its directors, officers and employees, shall assume no liability whatsoever for any situation in which their inability to act results from an event or situation unforeseeable or beyond their control, including a strike, lockout or any other labour dispute at their location or the locations of the organizations and businesses whose services are used to hold these challenges.
All personal information, such as address, telephone number and e-mail address is collected solely for the purposes of administering the online challenges and shall not be used for any other purpose without consent. By providing this information, the participant consents to it being used for the stated purposes.
By entering the contest, the participant agrees to abide by the contest rules, which shall be applied by the CBC. All its decisions are final. Should a participant make any false statement, he/she shall be automatically disqualified from the challenge.
Permission to publish images, audio and video files, animations, or drawings submitted to the competition (henceforth "the submitted materials")
I agree that the material I submitted to be used by CBC / Radio-Canada are as follows:
1. I am the owner of the submitted material, and I own all the rights, including copyright, necessary to submit this material to the CBC.
2. I am the sole owner of copyright for the submitted material, and I understand that I am granting CBC the exclusive right to use it in any way that CBC sees fit for one year as of the date of submission, and nonexclusive afterwards.
3. I consent to indemnify CBC against any claim, demand, action, suit, or other proceedings against CBC arising out of the use of the photograph and related to any false or inaccurate statement.
4. I grant this authorization free of charge.
5. Participants who have modeled, posed or participated in the submitted material have assigned all relevant rights to me.