Kathy Reichs takes the Laferrière Questionnaire
An extra-spooky edition of our very own 20 questions, courtesy of bestselling author and skeleton specialist Kathy Reichs.
About the Laferrière Questionnaire: We asked writer Dany Laferrière to reinterpret the Proust Questionnaire for the 21st century. He put together 20 questions that shine a light on who we really are, both as writers and as individuals.
1. If you were Alice, would you rather stay in Wonderland on the other side of the mirror, or come back to the real world to tell your story?
Always feel the desire to get back home.
2. If your home were on fire, what prized keepsake would you grab on your way out?
Photos of my grandsons.
3. What childhood fear do you still have as an adult?
4. Would it be okay to have a miserable childhood if that were a prerequisite for becoming a writer?
5. Do you wake up at night to read or write?
Both. Depends on my position in the birthing of a book.
6. Do you feel anxious or excited when you start to write?
7. Does darkness soothe you or frighten you?
Depends on where I am. In my bedroom - soothed. Alone in an alley - not so much.
8. Do you tend to hang on to a thousand little scraps of paper, or do you regularly clean out your drawers?
I am not a saver.
9. Which animal would you rather be: a cat or a dog?
Cat. Felines take orders from no one.
10. Does love dry up your creative juices or make them flow faster?
No impact. I am good at compartmentalizing.
11. Do you remember your dreams?
I remember fragments. Or so I believe.
12. What's your favourite colour?
13. What's your favourite season?
14. Does pressure motivate you?
From a salesperson, no. From my editor, yes.
15. Would you rather live to write or write to live?
Write to live implies pressure. Live to write implies passion. No-brainer.
16. What published book do you secretly wish you had written?
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Brilliant.
17. Are you the paranoid type or calm, cool and collected?
I am calm and collected, though not always cool.
18. What would qualify as the afternoon of your dreams?
A day at the beach with my grandsons. And a nanny.
19. Are you more like the sun or the moon?
I'd have to go with R Aqr, a Mira variable star in the Aquarius constellation.
20. Do you hear voices?
All the time. My family. My friends. My editors. Best of all, my readers.
Kathy Reichs, like her character Temperance Brennan, is a forensic anthropologist, formerly for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in North Carolina and currently for the Laboratoire de sciences judiciaires et de médecine l'égale for the province of Quebec. A professor in the department of anthropology at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, she also serves on the National Police Services Advisory Board in Canada. Kathy Reichs is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and producer on the TV series Bones. Her latest books are Flash and Bones and the young adult novel Seizure.
Photo credit: Marie-Reine Mattera