Why Tahmoh Penikett thinks American War should win Canada Reads
The finalists for Canada Reads 2018 have been announced and now it is up to the defenders to make the case for why their selection should win CBC's annual battle of the books.
The debates, hosted by Ali Hassan, take place March 26-29, 2018.
"An exceptional work of speculative fiction, Omar El Akkad's book American War imagines the United States during a second Civil War. A war revolving around religious bigotry, regional hatred, racism, sexism and fake news. Triggered by the climate crisis and opposition of 'off-oil' northern states versus southern 'drill baby drill' states. This arresting and unsettling book teems with brilliant description, colourful characters and echoes of America today. This is the one book to open your eyes."
The Canada Reads 2018 contenders:
- Mozhdah Jamalzadah, defending The Boat People by Sharon Bala
- Tahmoh Penikett, defending American War by Omar El Akkad
- Greg Johnson, defending Precious Cargo by Craig Davidson
- Jeanne Beker, defending Forgiveness by Mark Sakamoto
- Jully Black, defending The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline