Monday, March 11, 2013 |
Canada Reads... Families Read!!!
This edition of Canada Reads features the five novels that parents should read with, or to, their children. (These are novels, not picture books). After all, children are the next general of Canadian readers!
The panelists would each choose the book they will represent. The panel would include:
1) A parent (or older sibling, aunt, uncle, etc) who read(s) to their children. Prior to Canada Reads, individuals would participate in an online competition to join the panel, explaining why they think they are qualified to defend a particular children's novel. The public would vote on the winner.
2) A 'child'... someone who grew up reading with, or being read to, by an influential figure in their life (parent, older sibling, grandparent etc). Same selection process as for the parent.
3) Megan Follows: famous Canadian actress who played Anne in the famous Canadian children's novel Anne of Green Gables.
4) A past or present head of Children's Literature at a Canadian public library.
5) A famous Canadian children's author, such as Jean Little or Kit Pearson, who did not have a book selected by one of the other four panelists.
In addition to the usual online poll run during the Canada Reads week, a second poll for those aged 18 and under would be run. This is to allow the voice of the next generation of Canadian readers to be heard regarding the Canadian children's novel that families should be reading.
You can read the other Top 10 entries here.